Law student delves into politics

Mosier ran for the position in Milwaukee’s 13th aldermanic district after Jeff Pawlinski agreed to resign in May to accompany a guilty plea to federal charges of misusing his campaign fund.

When Mosier, who has always been interested in politics, saw that the alderman’s position would be up for election, he jumped at the opportunity to make his community better and gain some experience in politics.

“I wanted to make a difference,” he said. “I see the city, the county and the state making a turn in government for the good.”

Although he did not win the seat, Mosier looks back on the summer campaign as a learning experience.

Mosier came out of the primary with 48 votes, receiving more votes than three of the other 12 candidates. While considering the amount of time and money he was able to pour into the campaign, he thinks he did fairly well.

Mosier had no political experience coming into the campaign. In addition, he knows his age — 22 — was a disadvantage in a district with a large retired population.

Mosier saw success in the attention his issues received as the core of debate between the final two candidates.

“While the results were not as high as I would have liked, my campaign did resound well, helping bring important issues to light,” Mosier said.

Mosier had three issues on which he campaigned: accountability, property taxes and crime. He wanted his residents to hold him accountable for his actions through monthly meetings. He also promised he would not raise property taxes and he would deter property damage and vandalism.

Many residents of the 13th district see Police Chief Art Jones as a “hindrance to the morality and success of the police force,” Mosier said.

He feels that property taxes would not have been as important to the final two candidates had he and other less-experienced candidates brought them to the residents’ attention during the primary election.

Mosier has not ruled out a return to politics, but he isn’t eyeing a specific position. For now, however, Mosier’s focus is on his studies at Marquette, he said.

“My goal has never been to have a high political profile,” he said. “The opportunity came up with the resignation and I was able to gain experience, meet some people and hone my skills as a communicator and campaigner.”

The two candidates who went on to the final election were Nancy Plichta and Terry Witkowski. Witkowski, a former city safety director, won the Common Council seat in July.