Fans, teammates fail to support fallen star in need

But why do I feel like I'm the only one who thinks he's innocent, or at least wants him to be?

There are more people who want to see Bryant convicted — more than being proven innocent. Why? Because we want people to be guilty. There is no lie about it: We want Bryant to be guilty just to see what will happen. It would be nice to see him play another 10 years in the NBA, but can you imagine what he would be like after five years in prison? That's a Barbara Walters special I'd watch.

Then there are those who hate him just because he's Bryant and he plays for the Los Angeles Lakers. You think Sacramento Kings fans are praying Kobe doesn't go to jail? What about the people of Philadelphia who booed him two years ago at the NBA All-Star game?

As shady as it sounds, even Kobe's own teammates seem to be against him.

Since Gary Payton and Karl Malone have been traded to the Lakers, neither one has openly spoken out that they have Bryant's back and hope he gets out of this OK. All they care about is the ring. They talk about how it's Shaquille O'Neal and Bryant's team and they are there to fill in the holes. But with as much as Shaq has complained about not getting the ball, and with Payton and Malone both averaging all-star numbers for the 10 or more years they have been in the NBA, one less person to share the ball with sounds pretty good for them.

Kobe has to fight this case by himself now. His back is against the wall and only time will decide what his future holds. But for those who want to see Bryant behind bars, they are losing the last worthy opponent in basketball since No. 23 ruled the game. If he's innocent, yes he'll have the shame hanging over his head, but if he's guilty, well, I guess the people got what they wanted.