Team’s report card shows high marks

This is the first year Marquette (2-1-1) has been in the tournament.

“It was a very high-level tournament,” Roeders said. “We couldn’t have done better than we did.”

Defense was the key in its efforts over the weekend, as the team allowed zero goals in both contests.

Junior goalie Katie Bissen recorded her third shutout of the season with two saves in Marquette’s 2-0 win over Oakland (2-1-1) Sunday, as well as nine saves against No. 15 USC, which was tied 0-0 after overtime.

“I told her there will be a game where she needs to win it for us because we might score one goal,” Roeders said.

Senior midfielder Carolyn Klopp scored her second goal of the season to give Marquette a 1-0 lead. In the 20th minute, Klopp scored on a kick to the left corner of the goal past Oakland goalie Sarah Buckland, the first goal Oakland has allowed all season.

Marquette’s second goal came during the 52nd minute, when freshman midfielder Michelle Martin scored her first career goal. Junior defender Claire Weber and senior midfielder Kristen Jensen were given the assist.

“Against Oakland, it was a little revenge from the last two years,” Roeders said. “The game was like the last two games (against them). We scored first then they came back, but that didn’t happen.”

On Friday, the Golden Eagles faced their toughest opponent thus far in the season, No. 16 Southern California. The Trojans attacked the Golden Eagles with a barrage of shots from all directions — 20 total, compared to Marquette’s six — the most allowed by an opponent against Marquette this season.

Though the Trojans out-shot the Golden Eagles, Marquette was able to go the distance with USC for 110 minutes, leaving them with a record of 1-1-1.

Freshman Meghan Connelly had a few opportunities to score in the first half, but was unable to get a shot past USC goalkeeper Julie Peterson, who had two saves for the game.

“In the first overtime, Meghan Connelly had a couple of chances, including a point-blank shot,” Roeders said. “We made an effort to get more people around the goal and we were successful.”