Eagles’ loss enables Badger coach to make history

Junior goal keeper Katie Bissen, who had not allowed a score in the last two contests, gave up the first goal at 21:57 when the Big Ten player of the week, Jenny Kundert, put the ball in on a head shot to put Wisconsin up 1-0.

Wisconsin, 4-1-0, scored two more goals in the second half, one at 60:04 when Kara Kabellis’ shot on goal was mishandled by Bissen and Katy Lindemuth was there to score her second goal of the season. Kabellis, who had two assists, six shots and one shot on goal for the game, scored Wisconsin’s third goal at 78:32 from 18 yards out.

Marquette was out-shot by Wisconsin 17-8 and had zero shots on goal compared to the Badgers’ three. Bissen had five saves on the night while Badgers’ goalie Stefani Szczechowski had two.

“They took advantage of some set plays, they scored on a corner kick after the first goal and a free kick after second goal,” coach Markus Roeders said. “We were trying to push the players forward and create some opportunities.”

Roeders also said he saw changes in his team in the loss to Wisconsin.

“We weren’t as crisp,” Roeders said. “We weren’t able to put a 90-minute game together. We had taken a step backwards; our intensity was not high, or defense was not as sharp, we missed scoring chances.

“We wanted to play well — everyone knew what (kind of) game it would be like — but we didn’t respond,” he continued. “Madison is very good. They looked a little more mature and sophisticated than the way they played.”

Although the loss was disappointing, the freshmen had their first taste of the historic rivalry between the schools.

“They learned what it is like to be in that situation,” Roeders said. “You try to describe to them what it is about but it doesn’t take effect until you read the headline in the newspaper the next morning or you see the score.”

Prior to the match, the teams entered tied for sixth place in the Great Lakes Region rankings.

“We’ll use (the loss) as a stepping stone,” Roeders said. “We’ll have to learn from it.”

Marquette’s next match will be at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 16 at Wisconsin-Green Bay.