Film to cross red line at Marquette

Redlining is a term used to describe the “practice of economic discrimination based on a group rather than individual value,” Banda said in a statement.

Banda said that if members of one ethnicity, in the case of his documentary Hispanics, are considered a minority, than members of other ethnicities should also be considered minorities.

“It’s something that nobody seems to want to think about,” Banda said.

For Banda, documentaries are “a form of personal expression.”

Banda said he chose Milwaukee in part because it was his hometown, but also because according to 2000 census data, the Milwaukee-Waukesha area is the most segregated urban area in America.

“There are detractors on (the Census data),” Banda said.

The data came under fire early in 2003 when a group of researchers at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, led by Lois Quinn, concluded that the Census used an unrealistic statistical measure in order to determine the degree of segregation in a given area, according to a Jan. 19 article in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Quinn said her study primarily took into account the concentration of black and white residents in most neighborhoods, rather than the concentration of Hispanic ethnicities.

According to Banda, the numbers don’t effect his documentary.

“I’m not there to validate the census,” Banda said. “Segregation occurs more in the head and in the pocketbook than in statistics. I’m just trying to show a point of view that someone may not have gotten before.”

As part of the final production phases of the documentary, Banda held a preview showing of the film in two sessions of his Advocacy Campaign Design Media, Religion and Culture class. Students were required to submit reviews on the film.

Banda said he found the showing of the film “stimulating.”

“I think they truly understood,” Banda said. “It gave them insight not from a right and wrong perspective, but from a slightly different perspective.”

“Redlining” is the final part of the “After the Immigrant” series, which includes “Mountain’s Mist & Mexico” and “Indigenous Always, the Legend of La Malinche.”

According to Banda’s web site, www.danbanda.com, the previous volume of the series was nominated for five Midwest Emmys and won two. Banda also has a number of other awards to his credit, including two national communicator awards.,”Brian O’Connor”