Carthage trounces Eagles

The Golden Eagles were behind early in the game as the Redmen were able to get out on a 19-0 lead in the first quarter. Carthage had a field goal and a touchdown pass within the first seven minutes of the game to put the team up, 10-0.

Then, at 7:20, Carthage scored again on a touchdown off a fumble recovery. A fumbled snap allowed the Golden Eagles to get the ball back.

The Golden Eagles made good on 20-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Nick Cerveny to Andrew Carry as the final seconds of the second quarter ticked away, bringing the score to 19-6.

That would be as much as the offense would produce for the game, as they were not able to score again. The Marquette defense however, became the backbone for the team in rough times, fighting to the end despite being down by as much as three touchdowns.

"They didn't quit," said Carthage junior varsity coach Adam Walker. "Despite the mistakes by Marquette early on it would have been a closer game."

"The defense did what they had to," Maldonado said. "The offense gave them nothing to work with. We have too many key guys on offense who feel that it's just a club team and they don't have to be here and do well. These are key players. I told them, 'The score board says it all.'"

On the game, the defense had four fumble recoveries and one interception by A.J. Smyth in the end zone that stopped a possible Carthage touchdown.

The defense was able to post the second Marquette touchdown with 14:47 remaining in the fourth quarter when Rob Albrecht ran back a fumble.

By that time, however, the Redmen had already scored three more touchdowns on an interception return at the end of the second half, a 15-yard touchdown pass in the third quarter and a 60-yard run touchdown in the fourth.

"It was a lack of execution," said captain and defensive lineman Ken Ludwig. "The offense needs to get things corrected. The defense is doing what they need to do to keep us in the game."

Walker said the only offense the Golden Eagles had going was their running back, Anthony Rollins.

"He is really talented," he said. "He was tough to contain. He has some quick feet."

Rollins was a part of a huge Marquette drive that could have led to another touchdown. In the first half while at Carthage's 20-yard line, Rollins had four rushing attempts to try to get inside the end zone but failed. On fourth down however, the Golden Eagles' Mario Ponce attempted a field goal but the kick sailed too low and to the left.