MU students must build awareness of mental health issues

It is the friend who seems to drink more beer than water, who misses class, life and conscious thought. He is defensive when asked about his drinking habits. He is an alcoholic in every sense of the word.

Chances are you know these people. They are your best friends, your roommates or you. One in five people during their lifetime will suffer from mental illness. Suicide is the third leading cause of death for people ages 15-24. Twenty percent of college students engage in anorexic or bulimic behavior. 360,000 of America’s 12 million undergraduates ultimately will die of an alcohol-related cause.These facts seem sobering for our age group because the young adult years are when many psychological problems manifest themselves.

What is the point? The point is college students — Marquette students — are put in an incredible position to “be the difference.” This week is Mental Illness Awareness Week. This is an opportunity for you to inform yourself. The more educated one is on mental illness the less stigma, stereotyping and alienation takes place. Research bipolar disorder, anorexia, anxiety, suicide prevention online at Web sites like www.nami.org and www.mhamilw.org. Read the newspaper for new treatments available and information about support group meetings. Go to the counseling center at Holthusen Hall, room 204, and ask for information. The more you know about mental illness the better equipped you are to help someone who is hurting.

Remember that mental illness does not discriminate. It could easily be you who is in pain, so approach an individual with love, empathy and nonjudgmental concern. Know that you are not trained to be your friend’s therapist, so while looking out for yourself, encourage them to seek help. Help them find therapy options and let them know how important they are to you. Many times it helps just to know that one has another’s unconditional support, even though what they are struggling with can be such a horrific and humbling experience.

Finally, for those who are in the midst of a mental health crisis, seek help. Start by telling someone you trust, just to get your secret out. Know you don’t have to suffer silently. Today the counseling center is offering quick, confidential screenings for depression, but they are also available during office hours all year long to help you sort out what you are going through.

Never give up hope. Mental illness doesn’t have to be a lifetime battle or a sentence spent in isolation. Therapy and sometimes medication can improve one’s condition. If you are experiencing suicidal thoughts and feel you are a risk to yourself or others, or if your friend is, call Public Safety or 911. Nothing is ever worth making a permanent decision to take your life.

My final words are reminders for the Marquette community. We are all a big campus family and we need to look out for each other. If you see someone in pain, love first without judgment. Offer an ear and support. Give hope. If our purpose on Earth is to love, then it starts with understanding and compassion. Give hope through your encouragement. Be the difference during Mental Illness Awareness Week and every week hereafter. A struggling soul should never have to suffer in silence. We all play a role in the mental well-being of Marquette.

Jolly is a senior communication studies major.