Lowest team score not enough at 49er classic

“The team’s performance was similar to the other three tournaments,” head coach Tim Grogan said. “The scores were pretty low at this tournament and we just flat out are not playing very well.”

The one bright spot that Grogan speaks of is the play of sophomore Steve Sass.

“Steve showed some signs of playing pretty good,” Grogan said. “He is the one guy that posted fine scores and it looks as if he is coming around.”

Sass was Marquette’s low scorer in the tournament. He has continued to play consistently and posted his season’s top score of 3-over-par 219, good for a tie for 26th place. Sass had scores of 73 and 69 in the event and then struggled in the final round, posting a 77.

Hoosier junior Jeff Overton, the No. 4 golfer in the nation finished the tournament 17-under-par 199, to capture the medalist title in his third straight championship. Overton has posted scores in the 60s in eight out of nine rounds.

Junior Nathan Colson and sophomore Kyle Murphy finished the tournament tied for 44th place with scores of 9-over-par 225. Murphy did post a solid final round of 71.

“Kyle came back and had a good last round,” Grogan said. “He always plays his best the last day of the tournament. The problem is, he has been a little inconsistent.”

Freshman Michael Bielawski came in 58th place with a score of 234, while sophomore Joe Weber placed a score of 237 good for 60th place.

“In all of the events our top guys have not gotten off to a good start,” Grogan said. “We just don’t have any one guy playing well. Nathan, our number one player, just has not played the way he can.”

The Golden Eagles did post better scores each day of the tournament. Grogan wishes that the fall season was more than a month because the time frame for the golfers is fairly short. To schedule as many tournaments in a month is a difficult concept because one must pick the appropriate tournaments.

“The problem is that the fall season is short and we just don’t have enough time to turn this around,” Grogan said. “Guys are working hard every day to continue to improve.”

The course that the team played on is three years old. Skybrook Golf Course measured a hefty 7,028 yards being a par 72. It is a course that bills itself as being located in the mountains of Charlotte, containing peaks and valleys throughout the layout.

“It is very hilly and an open course to place some good scores,” Grogan said. “I did not think the scores would be that low. It is a great course.”

The Golden Eagles’ next tournament is Oct. 13-14 at the Xavier Invitational in Cincinnati, Ohio. This is the team’s last tournament of the fall season.