After slow start, team beats UC-Santa Clara

Ryan Nilsson

However, the team wasn’t adhering to those principles last Friday during the first day of action in the Arizona State Fall Invitational in Tempe, Ariz. — so the coaches had a team meeting.

“We were most dissatisfied about the doubles,” Cordemeijer said. “We’d like to see certain things like intensity and communication between the doubles pair because we had different conditions. It was warm and outdoors and we’re not accustomed to that. They needed to help each other out (more).”

After failing to win a singles match against Arizona State or a doubles match against New Mexico on Friday, the team made positive strides on Saturday.

The reversal was best exemplified by the doubles play of seniors Veronica Garcia Briseno and Genevieve Charron. After falling behind Arizona State’s first doubles team of Cindy Sureephong and Rebecca Rankin 5-0, Marquette’s duo adjusted to their opponents, altered their shot selection by opting for more lobs and shots down the line, and pulled out a 9-8 victory.

“As soon as we started to adjust the other team was thrown out of rhythm,” Bronson said.

The come-from-behind win was even more impressive considering the quality of the competition.

“There’s a possibility (Arizona State’s doubles) team is ranked, and if they’re not right now they will be at some point during the season,” Bronson said.

Marquette’s singles players also rebounded on Saturday against Santa Clara. Briseno defeated Janalle Kaloi, 6-4, 6-2. Charron beat Catherine Cochrane, 6-1, 6-4, while freshman Callan Smith held off Casey Knutson 7-6 (4), 6-4.

“We won at first, second, and third singles,” Cordemeijer said. “We got a good performance considering we were missing a couple players (who didn’t make the trip).”

The singles victories, coupled with two victories against Santa Clara’s doubles teams on Sunday, meant Marquette defeated the Broncos in the hidden duel tournament. In hidden duel tournaments each team plays the other three teams, but they don’t play an opposing school’s singles and doubles teams on the same day.

The next tournament is the International Tennis Association Regional Championship in Kalamazoo, Mich. Oct. 23-27. Bronson, along with all the other coaches in the region, will submit players to the singles and doubles tournament, but participants are selected based primarily on their record.

After the ITA Regional the next tournament is the Milwaukee Tennis Classic in January.

“Now we’re into the non-traditional part of the schedule,” Bronson said. “There are limits on the number of hours and the number of individuals (Cordemeijer and I) can work with at a time. It will allow for more individual work.”

It will also offer a chance to build on the team meeting in Arizona, and stress the Bronson Way.