Sorority values service

Gamma Sigma Sigma is a different breed of Greek life.

While Gamma Sigma Sigma does hold traditional sorority functions like formals, retreats and special outings, this Marquette sorority sets itself apart with its dedication to “unity and service.”

Over the course of a semester, members of Gamma Sigma Sigma are required to perform ten hours of community service. The sorority usually sends service groups of 15 to 20 members to various events.

In recent years, members have volunteered at the Children’s Hospital and the Rescue Mission. They have participated in Al’s Run, the March of Dimes and the AIDS Walk. They have also raised money for the Cancer Society.

Members meet every other week to discuss various events and opportunities for service.

“Our motto is unity and service … we strive for fellowship of sisterhood and promote equality through service and volunteering,” said junior Torri Williams, president of Gamma Sigma Sigma.

According to executive board member sophomore Emily Lephardt, one of the greatest benefits to being part of Gamma Sigma Sigma is the availability of service projects and being able to have fun volunteering with a close group of friends. She also explained that members have more opportunities to voice their opinions and ideas because Gamma Sigma Sigma is a smaller sorority.

Williams said she feels that her friends from the sorority will be her friends forever. While attending a convention in New Jersey this summer, Williams said she met alumni who still had a unique bond even after 20 years.

Both undergraduate and graduate students are welcome to pledge to be a member of Gamma Sigma Sigma. This is also the first year that males can pledge to be members of Gamma Sigma Sigma.

Interested students can contact Williams at [email protected] or by phone at 975-4652.