Advocate of flag’s removal strikes back

It seems that my Viewpoint about a gay pride flag hanging in the AMU has caused quite a bit of discussion among the Marquette family. However, there seems to be a much larger issue tugging at us all: Where do we find truth?

Aristotle formulated a useful truth. It is called the “principle of non-contradiction.” This principle holds that a statement cannot simultaneously be both true and false. For example, nothing can at once both have an attribute like redness and, at the same time, lack redness. That would be a contradiction.

Our modern society (and even some Christian denominations) believe that artificial contraception, masturbation and homosexual acts are not immoral. Conversely, the Catholic Church teaches that these activities are immoral. We have two contradictory belief systems present. According to the principle of non-contradiction, both systems cannot be true because they express contradictory views. Is society right or is the Catholic Church?

The Catholic Church is right, and we can arrive at that conclusion based not only on the strength of the Church’s logic and wisdom in its teachings on sexuality, but also by the evidence of an abudance of divine favors showered upon the Church. Did you know these things about the Catholic Church?

1. The founder of the Catholic Church is God himself, Jesus Christ. Other religions were founded by others (Lutheranism by Luther in 1517, Anglicanism by King Henry VIII in 1534, etc.).

2. Thousands of Catholics throughout the centuries have chosen to be martyred rather than renounce their Catholic beliefs.

3. Catholicism is the largest world religion.

4. The bodies of hundreds of Catholic saints have not decayed or corrupted after death, and sometimes have even remained remarkably fresh after many centuries. See “The Incorruptibles,” by Joan Carroll Cruz and published by TAN books.

5. The Catholic faith teaches that the Holy Eucharist is the body, blood, soul and divinity of Jesus Christ. In several instances, the Eucharist has turned into flesh and blodd that is visible to human eyes. You can visit these Catholic shrines and churches and see for yourself. See Bob and Penny Lord’s “This is My body: Miracles of the Eucharist, Volumes One and Two.”

6. Several Catholic saints have been blessed with the gift of stigmata, which are marks on the body that resemble the wounds Christ received during his passion and crucifixion. See any books about St. Padre Pio, who died in 1968, for further evidence.

In conclusion, I wrote this Viewpoint not to stir up the pot once again, but because I believe the very answers to our most difficult questions about sexuality and human life can be found in the Catholic Church. As you do your own searching, keep in mind these wise words from the late Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen: “Many people hate the Catholic Church and her teachings, but I do not believe I could find five people who really hate her and her teachings for what they really are. They hate what they think are the Church and her teachings.”

Keener is a prospective graduate student.