Wild tackles hot topics

Despite a number of empty seats in the house, the students at Wednesday’s forum with University President the Rev. Robert A. Wild seemed passionate about the more than 20 concerns they presented to the administration.

Senior Brett Blomme, an MUSG senator, spoke on behalf of VOXX: Voices for Planned Parenthood. VOXX’s application to become a university-recognized organization was recently denied, and Blomme inquired if this was a closed issue.

Wild said the organization conflicted with the university’s Jesuit values, and the university would not finance the group. However, he said VOXX’s members still have their freedom as citizens to be involved with this issue and deemed it an acceptable topic for classroom discussion.

Blomme said he was satisfied with the response he received and said he felt it was important to bring this issue up after noticing student interest in VOXX.

The recent disconnecting of students’ Internet ports at Schroeder Hall was also mentioned. The administration defended the decision by Information Technologies Services to shut off Internet access with little prior notification since “protecting the social good is important,” Wild said.

Kathy Lang, chief information officer for ITS, said her office would notify students ahead of time that their computer needed to be cleaned for viruses or worms, but the fact that some students’ computers were obstructing the network made immediate disconnection necessary.

Senior Mary Alice Berg said she was concerned with the lack of computers featuring design software necessary for many College of Communication students. She said she was not satisfied with the administration’s answer. Lang said ITS is still looking at costs to make design software available. Berg said she thinks this will be a concern when students have to complete final projects.

Marquette student government president Kate Agnew mentioned students’ desire for more 24-hour study space in the Raynor, but Wild suggested “letting the dust settle.” He blamed the shortage of study space on the newness of the library and said he thought people would eventually return to other study spots.

Regarding diversity, Kliebhan said there are plans to talk about the image of Marquette. Wake suggested trimming the size of future freshman classes.

The officials also defended Marquette’s contract with Nike for the national sale of items bearing the Marquette logo.