Metra may soon head up north

Potential plans to extend Chicago’s Metra commuter trains to southeastern Wisconsin may ease some of the frustration over traffic congestion often found on Interstate 94, the route between Chicago and Milwaukee.

Metra currently offers routes from downtown Chicago to the suburbs in all directions, including a stop in Kenosha.

Southeastern Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission plays a huge role in the Metra extension plan. According to the commission, the traffic in the Kenosha-Milwaukee area is bound to get worse if something does not happen soon.

“People want an option to driving,” said Otto Dobnick, a member of the transportation division at the commission. “They need another way of getting around and avoiding traffic. While a number of people are very interested, the plans to build the extension are a multi-phased process.”

In late September, local officials agreed to move forward on the preliminary Metra plans.

County executives from Kenosha, Racine and Milwaukee counties and mayors from the cities involved agreed to begin preliminary engineering plans.

Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker has approved of the expansion so far.

“He has given the OK to offer the services from the Milwaukee County,” said Sadhna Lindvall, spokesperson for the county executive.

Milwaukee Mayor John O. Norquist thinks the extension will be convenient for Milwaukee residents.

“The Metra will serve the city by transporting Milwaukee’s residents to and from work,” said the mayor’s spokesperson, Steve Filmanowicz. “Although it is a longer ride, the Metra is cheaper than the Amtrak.”

According to the Southeastern Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission, the next two phases are estimated to take about three years and the actual construction will take about six years.

The Metra extension will be beneficial for various persons, including Marquette students. For students without cars, the Amtrak offers a one-way ticket for $20.

The same ride on the proposed Metra line will take about two-and-a-half hours and only cost $8.20. The Metra is a lengthier trip is because it will have numerous stops between the cities.

Amtrak provides a faster service, but Metra may get riders closer to their location.

“I like taking the Amtrak when I go home because it’s faster than driving, but the closest train station to my house is a half hour away,” said freshman Meredith Meade, a Chicago native. “The Metra could definitely get me closer to where I need to go.”