Admirals don’t fly against Aeros

"That was a hell of a pace, a hell of a lesson for us … We were overwhelmed in some areas. It's like we were watching the game as they were playing it. They were playing chess, we were playing checkers."

Despite the loss, Noel has reasons to be optimistic for the season. One of those reasons is young goaltender Brian Finley.

The 22-year-old Ontario native has started all three games and has done his best to keep the team in close competition.

"Finley played well," Noel said. "We held him out to dry quite a few times and I thought he played a really sharp game. He made some saves where it was just him and the player … we were giving up shots."

The team was also missing 20-year-old winger Scottie Upshall, who, after scoring a goal and an assist in the opener, was out serving a one-game suspension for cross-checking in the game against the Manitoba Moose.

"He's got energy, speed and sparks. He's a good young player," Noel said of the Nashville Predator's number one draft pick in 2002.

While Noel looks forward to his return, he also plans to focus on some of the team's shortcomings in preparation for tonight's game against the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks.

"They exposed our weaknesses and that's how you find out who your team is," Noel said. "It's a process. It's not going to be easy every night.

"We've got some work to do. We've only played three games and this is a new measuring stick so we've got to take it to another level and get better.

"You have to evaluate and assess your play. We have to evaluate where we were good and where we weren't so good. You assess it, you analyze it, you repair."

The Admirals are 1-1-1-0 this season and take on the Mighty Ducks today at 7 p.m. at the Bradley Center.