At nearly 50, Ellis is still learning

There have only been 10 practices this season, but Ellis said he is starting to get familiar with new and veteran players on the team.

According to Ellis, Wednesday night marked the team’s first real practice, and after almost 30 years of being a part of Marquette, of all things, he said he feels like the new kid on the block.

“It’s early still,” said the former three-time All-American and NBA player. “I’m still learning.”

Ellis decided to return to his alma mater in July to work under head coach Tom Crean. Crean is the fourth Marquette coach Ellis has worked under, after coaching with Bob Dukiet, Kevin O’Neill and Mike Deane from 1988-’98 after his NBA career ended.

Ellis got his first chance to see what the players can do after their tour of Costa Rica last week, where they were undefeated, 5-0.

“It was a good trip,” Ellis said. “It gave our kids some experience, and as a coach it gave me an idea of what the kids are capable of.”

Closing in on 50 years of age, Ellis said his vast experience will be helpful for the players.

“Experience is a value,” he said. “I’ve been through a lot. I can do my best by being there for the coach and the kids. (The players) have to be ready to perform in the class and on the court. I concentrate on that.”

Though he feels experience is a strong value for the Marquette players, Ellis said college basketball overall has lost some of its own foundations.

“I don’t think anything stayed the same,” he said. “You have ESPN, exposure, there are more schools, strength coaches — we didn’t have any strength coaches, and we didn’t even have a weight room. Our thing was to have a game plan and execute the game plan. It’s watered down.”

As Marquette’s tough non-conference schedule approaches, with its first game of the season against St. John’s in the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic on ESPN on Nov. 13 and exhibition games against Team Nike and the Wisconsin All-Stars a week before, Ellis said he plans to learn as much from Crean’s game plan as he can, mixed with his experience as a veteran player and coach, to help the team advance to the NCAA tournament again.

“That comes with time,” Ellis said.