Playoffs have been a delight

This year, it was history in the making and it was the unmaking of history as some of baseball's richest teams shined in the playoffs, and the 2003 MLB playoffs will go down as one of those moments.

By God, the Cubs were winning (to my disbelief since I had made a small wager that they wouldn't make it past the Atlanta Braves) and had a 3-1 lead on the Marlins.

For 85 years, Cub fans around the world have been waiting for this moment, and because a fan wants to make the most of his night by catching a foul ball, it all went down the drain.

But can you blame the guy? Yes you can, and about a million other people want to thank him personally for perhaps ruining the Cubs best chance to make the World Series in the last century.

Then, the biggest rivalry in baseball, the Red Sox and the Yankees: the 1927 season, Zimmer, "The Curse", Babe Ruth and Harry Frazee (the man who sold the Babe for $100,000 from the Red Sox to the Yankees in 1919), and it continued with the trade of Roger Clemens, Martinez breaking Derek Jeter's hand and front office head honcho's George Steinbrenner and Larry Lucchino disliking each other after Lucchino called the Yankees the "evil empire."

But then it all went away.

It almost felt like the World Series was already over when the Marlins ran from the outfield to celebrate with each other in Chicago and the Red Sox walked out of Yankee Stadium with their heads down after losing, 6-5.

But for those days, who cared about Kobe Bryant, who cared about Monday Night Football? America had the Cubs, the Red Sox and the Yankees on primetime television going at it with almost a century of history behind them.

Yep, baseball's finest hour in years. What will be the next?