Eastwood finds directing touch in ‘River’

“Mystic River” starts out strong and never lets up. It plays almost like a reverse murder mystery — it seems clear in the beginning who is guilty of the death of Jimmy’s daughter, but Eastwood winds the plot so tightly and through so many twists and turns that more questions are raised than answers given, and the tension is almost unbearable. If the very end of the film seems muddled, it’s forgivable because the script has already managed to avoid so many plot traps and emotional clichés up to this point.

The three main stars are superb, as are the supporting cast which includes Laurence Fishburne, Marcia Gay Harden and Laura Linney, each accomplished in their own right.

The cast play well off each other, strike the perfect balance between intensity and restraint and never let individual performances overshadow the whole of the film.

For such a large main cast, each character is surprisingly well-developed, and because of this, an almost personal emotional pull can be felt as the plot progresses.

Robbins in particular does a great job in the film, portraying the long-lasting effects of childhood trauma. He manages to evoke harmlessness, menace, insanity and sympathy, sometimes all within one scene.

Penn also gives a convincing performance as his increasingly vengeful rage is almost palpable, and by the end of the film it’s hard to say which of these two characters is more terrifying. Bacon’s acting, on the other hand, is very even, which is not an insult.

With so many characters and so much drama, Bacon’s understated, calm performance is needed to keep the film grounded.

Even though Fishburne, Harden, and Linney don’t get as much screen time as the three main stars, each actor plays an essential role in the effectiveness of the film.

Fishburne plays Bacon’s badass partner, a role that he nails with such ease it seems as though the part was written with him in mind, and Linney is a delight as Jimmy’s wife, who may be hiding sinister motives underneath her warm exterior.

Harden stands out among the supporting cast, however, for her compelling performance as Dave’s frightened and confused wife, Celeste.

As Dave seems more and more irrational, Harden brings Celeste’s terror to the screen with disarming immediacy, as she faces the fact that her husband might be harboring a terrible secret.

Despite its bland title, “Mystic River” should be Eastwood’s most acclaimed directorial effort since “The Bridges of Madison County,” and with good reason.

The cinematography is beautiful, taking advantage of the foggy sunrises and the moon-reflecting rivers of the Boston-area location.

Eastwood takes a very different and potentially confusing storyline and brings it to the screen with clarity, sophistication and emotional depth. He also makes the most of his all-star ensemble cast, and (disregarding a few shaky Boston accents) directs them to perfection.

Don’t be surprised if “Mystic River” is on the shortlist for a couple Oscar nominations this coming season.