Justice minor now an option

“He’s our man,” Duffey said of Friman, who is on sabbatical.

Duffey said the minor includes 21 hours of course work in the fields of anthropology, economics, political science, psychology, advertising and public relations and history. Enrollment for the new minor is expected to be high.

“There’s currently no limit on how many can enroll,” Duffey said. “I think we’ll have to cut it off.”

Duffey and University Provost Madeline Wake said one of the main issues the course work deals with is the definition of justice.

“The first course has to do with conceptualizing Justice and Peace,” Duffey said.

Wake said despite the political nature of justice and peace, the concepts discussed in the course were not bent towards a particular political ideology.

“The various professors could be weighted one way or another, but as for the courses themselves, they’re not weighted one way or the other,” Wake said. “I think that whether you’re a Republican or a Democrat, you have an idea of what justice is. There are differences in strategies in actualizing it,” but the concepts are absolute.

Wake addressed the launching of the program in her address introducing Maguire.

The minor first appeared in the university’s “Undergraduate Bulletin,” a listing of major requirements and courses for 2003-’04. According to the bulletin, the minor “provides students with the opportunity to explore systematically the nature of justice and peace and the challenges and paths towards realizing justice and peace in the world in which they live.”

The program is one of nine interdisciplinary minors listed in the bulletin. Interdisciplinary minors are offered in the College of Arts & Sciences in topics ranging from Medieval Studies to Urban Affairs to Asian Studies. They typically require 21 hours of course work in a variety of subjects.