Car thefts drop on campus

At the beginning of the current semester it appeared car thefts were becoming rampant on and around the Marquette campus, but since then the numbers have dropped significantly.

The thefts have occurred primarily on city streets and not in Marquette parking lots.

Some students aren’t worried about their vehicles.

“I feel that my car is safe,” freshman Michael Parks said. “I don’t know about a surface lot, but where I’m parked I feel safe.”

Parks’ vehicle is stored in Structure 2, the university-owned parking structure located at 718 N. 18th St., across from O’Donnell Hall.

Capt. Russ Shaw, associate director of DPS, has advice for students who keep cars on campus.

“Keep things such as valuables out of sight,” he said. “Try to park in well-lit areas and park away from other vehicles to avoid providing hiding spots for those looking to gain access to vehicles.”

Sophomore Lindsay Turben hasn’t run into any problems while parking at Marquette.

“I park in Lot M and have had no problems here at Marquette,” Turben said.

However, while parked near her Brookfield apartment, her car was vandalized.

Not just any cars get stolen. Shaw says there is a favorite among criminals.

“The hot cars are older General Motors cars because their steering columns are easily removed with a hammer and screw driver,” Shaw said.

Smaller Japanese-made vehicles, particularly Honda Civics, as well as almost any sport utility vehicle, also top the list of top cars stolen.

In addition to the advice offered by Shaw, Marquette’s Parking and Traffic Services sells “The Club,” a theft-deterrent device. It is available for a refundable deposit of $20, which is less than the retail cost of the device.

Some students are unaware that Parking and Traffic Services offers The Club, which could help prevent auto theft, and costs much less than the replacement of a stolen vehicle.

“I would consider (using) it, but I did not know that that was an option,” Parks said.

Shaw advised students: “If it isn’t totally necessary to have a car on campus, don’t have one.”