No tricks, just treats

There is something adorable about the little witch that smiles up at you and asks for candy. There is something less adorable about the college-aged witch that does the same. But just because grown-ups can’t get away with trick-or-treating as easily doesn’t mean that the opportunity to indulge in Halloween treats isn’t available. Area bakeries and candy stores have provided an array of holiday bakery items and candy to satisfy the grown-up sweet tooth.

Niemann’s Homemade Chocolate Shop

Hidden deep in the heart of Wauwatosa sits a chocolate-lover’s dream. Niemann’s, 7475 Harwood Ave., has embraced the Halloween spirit by offering a variety of candies fitting of the holiday. Orange is the color of the season at Niemann’s, as decorative pumpkins sit behind the main counter and orange-colored hard candy in the shape of pumpkin lollipops call to sugar addicts.

According to Helena Karlick, an employee of the candy store for almost seven years, the Halloween-themed candy has been popular in the past and that is why the store, founded in 1919, chooses to bring it back every year. Karlick is confident that the decorative candy will be successful this year too because many customers react to “how cute (the candy) is.” She said that one customer even came in and bought 35 lollipops to pass out to trick-or-treaters.

Great Harvest Bread Company

The Village of Whitefish Bay is home to a variety of things in the matter of a few blocks: a high school, a grocery store and the Great Harvest Bread Company, 5629 N. Lake Dr. But this bread chain is offering something that no other bakery in town is — witch’s fingers. They may sound gross, but the store isn’t literally selling witch’s body parts. Actually, witch’s fingers are breadsticks that are dyed green and have an almond that serves as the fingernail.

“Kids really like it, grown-ups think it’s weird,” said Tiffany Gaumond, an employee of the bread shop. “The phenomenon of being gross and yucky is what attracts kids to it.”

Though Gaumond may think that adults are turned off by this feature, Victoria Liccione, a customer of Great Harvest Bread Company, was intrigued by the idea.

“I think they are hilarious,” Liccione said. “I think they are really clever and kids really love them.”

Witch’s fingers can be purchased separately or by the entire hand.

Along with these green treats the Great Harvest Bread Company offers other Halloween specialties, such as pumpkin cream cheese cake rolls and pumpkin walnut swirl bread.

Bucky Bairdo’s Chocolate & Ice Cream Dreams

Barely a mile away from the Great Harvest Bread Company is Bucky Bairdo’s Chocolate & Ice Cream Dreams, 103 E. Silver Spring Dr. Though Bucky Bairdo’s doesn’t exactly offer creepy Halloween treats, it is definitely in the Halloween spirit. The store is specializing in gourmet apples this time of year, ranging from traditional caramel apples to apples dressed with M&Ms, various nuts and dipped in chocolate.

According to Dave Bairdo, the owner of the confectionary, Bairdo also provides the apples, cider and hot chocolate for an eight-day Whitefish Bay pumpkin decorating festival. Bairdo has owned his store for nine years and has participated in Halloween events every year.

Not only does this candy store offer mouth-watering apples, other Halloween specialties are available and the store itself has taken on a holiday theme. Plates with witches hold pumpkin and ghost shaped chocolate lollipops, and a little trick-or-treat candy collector in the shape of a pumpkin also holds various treats.

National Bakery and Deli

Apples aren’t exclusive to Bucky Bairdo’s, as National Bakery and Deli, 3200 S. 16th St., also has candy apples to get in the spirit of the season. But that is not all, not by a long shot.

Hand decorated cookies frosted to look like pumpkins sit on a center table with a fall-colored tablecloth. Around the table sits the counter with homemade cookies and pastries. Donuts have their own special showcase along the store’s back wall. Cookies decorated like ghosts and spiderwebs are also eye-catching and reflective of the Halloween spirit.

Karen Ward, owner of the bakery, feels it is important to sell bakery items specialized to fit the season because “people enjoy it” and “it adds interest and fun to life.” Ward has owned the bakery for 12 years, and keeping the tradition ever since.