Stars brighten up ‘Sisco’

And thanks to a bright, breezy setting, compelling plots and great performances from some under-appreciated veterans, “Karen Sisco” (9 p.m., Wednesdays, ABC) more than meets its challenges

The first thing that’s truly memorable about “Sisco” is the colors of the show. While the majority of dramas this year have been done in muted colors, this show loudly embraces its South Beach locale with bright colors and beautiful people.

And title character Sisco (Carla Gugino) is more than adept at filling both those qualifications. Sisco is a U.S. marshal who also loves the night life and is as adept at catching the bad guys as she is at cutting a rug.

This contrast often leads to problems for Sisco as her choice in men leaves a little bit to be desired, such as the bank robber she falls for in the first episode who she ends up having to kill.

Luckily, Sisco has someone to look out for her in her father Marshall (Robert Forster), who is a private eye in his own right and is able to get a much better handle on people than his offspring.

Dating troubles aren’t even the worst of Karen’s problems though. The first episode has her investigating what happened during a botched arrest which leads to her getting shot. And just when things at the office seem to have cooled down, her co-worker (Gary Cole) has revealed his vigilante ways after weeks of suspicion.

But in the office, Karen gets another fine father figure in the form of Amos Andrews (Bill Duke), her tough but quite loving boss who always aims to keep the feisty marshal under control.

The show maintains a pretty rapid pace and has the guarantee of one good chase per episode it seems. And the series is shot beautifully, with the only detraction being a propensity for quick cutaway shots at unnecessary times.

But for all the show’s style, it’s the performances that give “Sisco” its substance.

Gugino is more than adept at filling Lopez’s high heels as Karen. The “Spy Kids” star gives a performance that’s brassy, sexy, confident and yet still totally vulnerable whenever love is anywhere near her. It’s a tough role, but Gugino gives her best performance since “Bound” on the show.

But a gallery of supporting actors makes this show truly special. First the show has a propensity for Floridian lowlifes not seen since “Miami Vice” that opens the door for fine guest shots, such as ex-“24” star Xander Berkeley’s turn as a rumpled mob accountant and executive producer DeVito’s mob boss.

But long-time vets Forster and Duke provide an incredibly solid foundation. Duke, of “Predator” fame, has always been a respected actor and director, but seems to really find a niche as Karen’s boss, as his always sunken eyes give him the perfect harried look.

And Forster, who’s last great role was as Max Cherry in “Jackie Brown” (which like “Out of Sight” was based on an Elmore Leonard book), is always fascinating as the protective dad. Whether he’s playing poker with ex-cons, busting people trying to scam some disability pay or just hanging around with his daughter, Forster gives a calculated and charming performance that carries every scene he’s featured in.

For a show as bright and brassy as “Karen Sisco,” it’s two middle-aged men that elevate it to this fall’s elite.

Grade: AB,”Matthew T. Olson”