Tiny Universe cruises on boat of happiness

Or maybe it’s because the band will board a cruise ship in January for eight nights of jamming in the Caribbean. Maybe it’s all three. Regardless of the cause, it’s obvious that little can damper Denson’s day.

There’s no question that Tiny Universe enjoys spreading their spirited jazz and dance-happy funk to the masses. Formed in 1998 by Denson — who fronts the band playing tenor and alto sax and the flute — Tiny Universe soon joined the jam band circuit, adopted the non-stop touring approach, and as a result were quickly accepted into that scene.

This year began with drummer John Staten joining Tiny Universe — Brian Jordan on guitar, Ron Johnson on bass, David Veith on keys, Chris Littlefield on trumpet and Denson.

“I’m just having so much fun because we got a new drummer at the beginning of this year and he was basically the missing link,” Denson said. “I’ve had drummer issues for such a long time and now everything works. The music is better than ever and fun for everyone.”

Over the summer Tiny Universe played a handful of festivals (High Sierra, Berkfest and Mid-Atlantic among others) and toured with the Allman Brothers Band, a task that doesn’t come easily.

Yet Tiny Universe took the challenge in stride.

According to Denson, it “was a blast. I’m pretty good friends with Warren (Haynes), Derek (Trucks) and Oteil (Burbridge) so it was an easy fit. It went really well and the band liked us.”

As if this experience isn’t enough to add to their ever-growing list of performances, Tiny Universe is in the middle of an extensive fall tour, which they will follow with an event that is sure to go down in musical history: the first ever jam band music festival at sea.

“Jamcruise I: The Maiden Voyage” will take place from January 6-10, aboard the Imperial Majesty Regal Empress. More than 12 bands — including Galactic, Keller Williams and Bill will spend four nights rocking as the cruise heads to Nausau, Bahamas and Key West. But when the cruise ends, Tiny Universe won’t be abandoning ship.

Due to high ticket demands, Jamcruise II: The Second Set, will take place January 10-14.

“The idea sounds great,” Denson said, “but I have no idea what it will be like. My only qualm is that I’ve never been on a cruise before. I think it will be a little strange to be on the boat for four days, then stop and get off, then get back on for four more.”

When Tiny Universe makes it back to shore safely, they plan on heading into the studio. They have a live album in the works, which is set to come out in early spring 2004, and a studio record they have begun.

But in the meantime, it’s all about what they do best — playing live.

“Right now we’re really just kind of working hard at making the shows good,” Denson said. “We’re having a great time. We’re making a living and having fun at it. I’m growing musically, I’m getting better at what I do. I love playing and I can feel myself improving.”

And you wonder why he’s happy.

Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe will perform Monday at The Rave, 2401 W. Wisconsin Ave., at 8 p.m. Tickets are $14. Call 342-7283 for more information.