DVDs add fright to night of ghosts, ghouls

5) “Scream” (1996)

Though one of the many “new age” thrillers aimed at teenage audiences, “Scream” stands as one of the finest. Although it may not be the best scary movie of the new crop, it still holds its weight as a good scary movie. It has the psychological aspect down, it has the blood and gore down and it has the frightened teenagers down. What more could you ask for from a movie of the horror genre? There are better scary movies than this, but this is still one of the better fright movies of recent times.

4) “Identity” (2003)

This movie flew under most moviegoers’ radars this year, yet it is one of the more suspenseful movies in the last few years. It’s not so much a blood and gore movie as a psychological thriller. This movie messes with viewers heads from start to finish, with an ending that is absolutely to die for. With one of the creepiest kids in recent movie history, and a cast (John Cusack, Ray Liotta) that brings so much to the table, it is hard for viewers not to be pleased after viewing this gem.

3) “The Silence of the Lambs” (1991)

It may not be a horror movie in the truest sense of that genre, but still, this is one of the better thriller movies in existence. Anthony Hopkins is absolutely amazing in his role as Hannibal Lecter, the psychotic psychologist who killed and ate his patients. Jodie Foster plays Clarice Starling perfectly as the woman who has to find out the inner thoughts of a completely creepy guy. There are plenty of things to mess with the viewers’ mind and the way that Hopkins says “Clarice,” is absolute chilling gold.

2) “Halloween” (1978)

It has the holiday’s name in the title, how can you go wrong? “Halloween” is one of the all-time classics when it comes to horror movies. There is not as much blood as recent thrillers, but the quality in this movie comes not from the physical horror the audience sees, but in the psychological thrills. When most of the movie is filmed in dark rooms, a lot is left to the imagination as to what may or may not happen to the hopeless protagonists, primarily Jamie Lee Curtis as Laurie Strode. When your party is looking for a good scary movie, this should be near the top of the list.

1) “The Exorcist” (1973)

The quintessential horror movie. “The Exorcist” brings everything to the table that you could want from a horror movie. This movie doesn’t need blood and gore, but rather scares with psychological and religious aspects. The special effects are great, and the simple fact that this movie was based on a true story is what helps add to the sheer horror that this movie generates. If this is not the scariest movie ever, it definitely has to be considered as one of the creepiest movies of all time.