Men’s team sets open tryouts for Wed.

“Of course we want guys who understand basketball, who have played it, that can run plays.”

The coaches will use the session to gauge the talents of the players. But as Wardle pointed out, the staff will be looking out for enthusiasm.

“They should expect to go through some drills,” Wardle said. “Can they pick up some things quickly? Can they pick up drills quickly? Can they understand the things coaches can throw at them? We will be looking at their skills, such as ball handling, shooting, passing and defending. Basically, typical basketball skills.

“We just want people that can come in and play,” he said. “They have to be willing to work hard and understand what Marquette basketball is all about.”

At the moment, the Golden Eagles have three walk-ons on the roster. All three are sophomores – guards Tony Gries and Jared Sichting along with forward Andy Freund.

Last season Sichting played in eight games, including NCAA Tournament contests against Kentucky and Kansas. The guard made one shot on the year, a three-pointer in a win over Eastern Illinois.

Gries, who started the year as a manager for the team, stepped in as a walk-on after a multitude of injuries. Playing in seven games, he scored three points on free throws against Grambling. Like Sichting, he also played in the Great Eight win over Kentucky and the Final Four loss to Kansas.

The 6-foot-8 forward, Freund, missed all of last season while redshirting due to injuries. As a result, he still has four years of eligibility left.