News Briefs

Student arrested for posession of controlled substance

While doing a walk-through at Carpenter, a staff member smelled a possible controlled substance and requested the assistance of DPS. DPS officers entered the room and discovered the alcohol and substance.

The officers also discovered various drug paraphernalia, in conjuction with the suspicious sandwich bags, prompted DPS to request the assistance of the Milwaukee Police Department.

After being questioned by the MPD officers, one student admitted ownership of the sandwich bags and because of the amount of the substance, he was taken into custody and cited for possession of a controlled substance.

As of Friday, the student was still in custody.

Arts & Sciences program to celebrate 10th year

Introduction to Inquiry, the first year seminar for freshman in the College of Arts & Sciences is celebrating its 10th anniversary with a party scheduled for 6:30 p.m. in the Alumni Memorial Union Ballrooms.

The seminar, based on the concept of “shared inquiry,” which requires that only those who have read the material can participate in the discussion, and when the leader asks a question, he or she cannot answer it. In addition, any answer made by a group member must be supported by the text, which promotes a deeper understanding of the literature, said James Pustejovksy, an associate German professor and one of the instructors who started the program.

Introduction to Inquiry groups are lead by a professor who is the academic advisor to the 10 students. The group meets once a week and discusses a short piece of literature — most often a short story, said John Krugler, assistant dean for the College of Arts & Sciences who was also involved in starting the program.

“This seminar works so effectively because you meet with your advisor for 75 minutes a week,” Krugler said.

The program is popular with students as well.

“You get to have some good small-group discussion,” said freshman Brain Schmidt. “It’s not a lot of work, and it’s good to hear what other people think.”

Calif. fire crews sent home as blazes burn out

BIG BEAR, Calif. (AP) — Exhausted firefighters were sent home Monday as remaining crews doused hotspots and watched for new ones — the vast wildfires that ravaged parts of Southern California all but surrounded.

More than 27,000 people remained displaced from their homes, but that was well down from the 80,000 at the peak of the fires, said a spokesman for the state Office of Emergency Services.

Sylvia Illman, forced to flee the community of Lake Arrowhead, said that after a week in a pop-up tent parked in a friend’s driveway, she found herself arguing with her husband and snapping needlessly at her two boys, ages 5 and 3.

“We can’t help it. The stress level is unbelievable,” she said. “I want to go home.”

All fires were expected to be surrounded by Tuesday, if not by Monday evening, said Andrea Tuttle, director of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

Cool, moist air smothered remnant flames after a front moved in off the Pacific on Halloween and brought rain to some areas and snow in the mountains. “The weather continues to be healthy for us,” Tuttle said.

The 91,000-acre Old Fire, the last of the blazes to threaten communities, was 83 percent contained as it smoldered in forests atop the San Bernardino Mountains.