Seniors struggle to say goodbye after 1-0 victory

The five graduating seniors, Kristen Jensen, Lindsay Smale, Laura Culhane, Carolyn Klopp and Ann Ioder, played their final home game as Marquette soccer players in front of their fans, friends and family.

Before the game, the five were acknowledged before the crowd as it was senior night.

Jensen, co-captain along with Smale said she realized during that moment that it would be her last time playing on that field.

“For all the times I’ve heard someone say (college will go by fast), it never really hits you until now,” she said. “Before the game warming up, listening to the music, the lights and the crowd, I’m going to miss it. It’s an incredible feeling.”

The “new generation” of players, according to Roeders, didn’t let the seniors leave Valley Fields with a loss. When in overtime at the 98th minute freshman midfielder Lauren Weber scored on an assist from sophomore midfielder Heather Goranson. The team rushed the field from its bench to surround Weber, who scored her first goal of the season.

“The players are extremely close to me,” Jensen said. “I’ll never forget (this game). Our senior class is so close and it’s going to be hard (to say goodbye), but we still have games left.”

Junior goalkeeper Katie Bissen recorded her eighth shutout of the season with seven saves, tying with last year’s goalie Ashley Koenig.

The Pirates could have been up 1-0 early in the first half when Tabitha Lowey scored in the 14 minute past Bissen, but she was called offsides after Bissen moved ahead of her in attempting the save.

Northwestern had 21 shots on goal compared to Marquette’s 13. Northwestern goalie Whitney Jones had three saves.

The Golden Eagles finished the regular season 11-7-1 and 7-3 in conference play. The team will enter the Conference USA tournament in Charlotte as the third seeded team and will face sixth seeded DePaul tomorrow at noon. The Blue Demons defeated Marquette 1-0 in their match earlier this season.

If Marquette wins, it will face either No.2 Texas Christian or No. 7 Tulane. Other matches include No. 4 South Florida vs. Saint Louis and No.1 Birmingham, Alabama vs. preseason favorite No. 8 Charlotte in the first round. For the first time seven years, Cincinnati did not make the tournament while this is Marquette’s seventh consecutive appearance. The Golden Eagles have also played in seven straight conference championship matches.

The semi-finals will continue through Thursday leading to the championship game Saturday.