Campus benefits from complaints

Having called the noise level to the attention of the conscientious and responsive student body, I notice how quiet it is as I write this in the Raynor Library. I am writing in response to Andy Teske’s Oct. 30 Viewpoint. Though I do not agree with Teske’s views, I respect them. I call Teske to that same level of respect.

Teske politely asks the Marquette community to stop complaining about life at Marquette. He calls for us to ignore things we would like to change and make better. A university is intended as a place to freely exchange ideas. In Teske’s utopia, this free exchange of ideas would not take place. Rather, everybody would appear to be happy and not complain. If you did complain, or even think to voice your own opinion, you’re out. Voted off the island, and not even a Tribal Council to can help. What I said to my Grandma, I repeat to Teske, “It’s just not that simple.”

Teske feels that an opinion about the university is unacceptable, unless your opinion begins with, “I enjoy…” or “What is really great…” At Teske’s ideal university, you are not allowed to begin sentences with, “I think we can improve…” Any complaint or suggestion is seen as an attack against the community. I wonder if Teske and those who think like him and believe that those who are of the opinion that there is a better alternative to the war in Iraq are anti-American. Does Teske believe that those who think priests should be allowed to marry are anti-Catholic?

Interacting and living in a society where people have different ideas and beliefs leads to growth, innovation and improvement. I wonder, Teske, what is so wrong with that?

Gillespie is a junior business major.