Romantic buffs to meet in the Raynor

Marquette is hosting the 10th annual International Conference on Romanticism this week, where 140 experts will discuss new approaches to the writing style. The topic is the many roles of romanticism from 1789 to 1848.

Formerly known as the American Conference on Romanticism, participants from all areas of the United States, Canada, England and the Netherlands are expected to contribute to discourses with names like “Discourses of the Sublime,” and “Irish/Scottish Romanticism.”

“The ICR remains a society that seeks to improve, maintain and improve teaching, research and related endeavors in the field of Romanticism studies, and to facilitate communication among students and teachers through annual meetings, publications and other activities, and to do so without favoring particular linguistic, political, or national traditions, or academic disciplines,” said the ICR’s Executive Director Larry Peer. “We have been international and interdisciplinary indeed.”

Marquette hosted the second annual conference in 1995 and was asked to host it again for the 10th anniversary because so many people wanted to return to Marquette and Milwaukee, according to Hoeveler.

The conference will be held in the Raynor Library’s conference center.

“What we wanted to do all along was to provide conference space for events that didn’t need to use the Weasler Auditorium or the AMU,” said Nicholas Burckel, dean of libraries. “This area is suited to events with an academic purpose and the ICR is probably the largest event the Raynor has hosted thus far, so this will be our trial run using the space.”

The event will also provide visibility to the new library as it caters to students and international scholars this weekend, according to Burckel.

Hoeveler said the ten-year anniversary of the ICR also spotlights Marquette’s commitment to higher education.

“The conference showcases Marquette to more than a hundred scholars from around the country. It provides tremendous visibility for the university,” Hoeveler said. “It’s also a potential learning experience for the students smart enough to take advantage of it.”

Peer thinks the group is able to “study the humanities in a humane manner.”

“I consider our greatest achievement to date being namely, a non-pretentious collegiality, a mature intellectual intimacy and a helpful friendliness that is painfully lacking in some other professional groups of which I have been for forty years a part, and which are of the humanities without always being particularly humane,” Peer said.

There is no charge to attend the conference discourses, but there is a fee for additional events. Students are welcome at all panels and the two lectures, Hoeveler said.,”Rikida N. Starace”