DVD collection praises Jonze

At one point during high school, prior to the advent of peer-to-peer networking, I always kept my VCR on permanent standby while watching television just in case MTV aired the music video for “Sabotage,” the Beastie Boys’ hard-rock hit single.

Volume 1 of Palm Pictures’ “Directors Label” doesn’t pinpoint the origin of this innovative and influential talent, admittedly a difficult task given how enigmatic and soft-spoken the director is during interviews.

The collection, however, surveys an auspicious and evolving video/film career, one that began with outlaw skateboarding videos and underground ‘zines and eventually garnered several Oscar nominations and an unparalleled respect in the entertainment industry.

The bulk of the package lies on the disc’s Side A, wherein Jonze’s more famous music vids — Weezer’s “Buddy Holly,” the Beasties’ aforementioned video, “It’s Oh So Quiet” by Bjork — are showcased with engaging audio commentaries by the respective artists.

Jonze’s experimentation in videos like “Drop,” along with his playfully curious spirit, informs Side B’s content. Several short projects comprise the “Rarities” section, including “The Oasis Video That Never Happened” and “Rockafella Skank,” a videotaped, street-side performance by part-interpretive, part-hip/hop dancer “Richard Koufey” (a Jonze alter-ego).

The last served as the genesis for the celebrated “Praise You” music video.

“Torrance Rises,” a half-hour mockumentary that would make Christopher Guest proud, follows Koufey and the (phony) Torrance Community Dance Group’s path toward performing Fatboy Slim’s song at the 1999 MTV Video Awards.

Jonze is an indefinable, convention-breaking filmmaker, and there is no greater proof of that fact than “The Work of Director Spike Jonze.”

“The Work of Director Spike Jonze”: A

DVD features: A