Ferrell brings charm to entertaining ‘Elf’

As a film, “Elf” leaves much to be desired.

Like most children’s movies, logic must be suspended to enjoy “Elf’s” story and humor. There are plot holes, yes, but kids aren’t looking for flaws in the script — they’re looking for burp jokes and gags about revolving doors and midgets, all of which make an appearance in “Elf.” There’s enough childish humor to keep the kids happy, but there are also enough subtle jokes that parents and older siblings can appreciate.

Ferrell’s performance as Buddy carries the movie, and director Jon Favreau knows this. Ferrell’s unique brand of physical comedy is showcased here at feature length, and Ferrell is given the freedom to take his humor to a more developed level. Unlike in this year’s “Old School,” Ferrell is center stage for the entire film, a position that seems to suit him best. Even though the humor is toned down for a younger audience, Ferrell is still sharp as a tack, and his mixture of innocence and silliness makes for some quality gags.

Zooey Deschanel, best known for her role as the older sister in 2000’s “Almost Famous,” is adequate as Buddy’s co-elf working at the department store. Deschanel doesn’t stand out, but she doesn’t get in the way of Ferrell’s antics either.

The supporting cast is solid, with James Caan as Buddy’s real dad and Mary Steenburgen as Buddy’s step-mom. There are also some quality blink-and-you’ll-miss-’em cameos by the likes of Bob Newhart, Ed Asner, Amy Sedaris, Matt Walsh, Andy Richter and Tenacious D’s Kyle Gass. These guest appearances make the film more enjoyable for the older crowd, while also entertaining the younger, even if the two groups aren’t laughing at the same lines.

Overall, “Elf” works because Ferrell works. Without him, the film would be just another cheesy Christmas movie, marketed to kids and designed to rake in a few bucks around the holiday season. It’s not the kind of movie that an older audience would flock to independently, but if you have to see a Christmas movie this season with your family, you could do a lot worse than “Elf.”