News Briefs

Coggs to run unopposed

George was recalled from the district, which includes Marquette, last month in a special primary election. Coggs defeated George 2-to-1 in the election. If Coggs is elected, his 17th Assembly District seat will be left up for grabs.

Coggs ran against George because he voted in favor of a state budget that proposed reductions in funding to Milwaukee Public Schools.

On Monday, the Wisconsin Supreme Court voted 4-to-2 against hearing a lawsuit filed by George in an attempt to invalidate the recall election.

Student assaulted off campus

A 22-year-old Marquette student was walking eastbound on West Wells Street and crossing North 20th Street when she was confronted and assaulted by two unidentified individuals Sunday, according to the Department of Public Safety.

At 4:10 p.m., two young females, ages 13 and 15, approached the student and one of them bumped into her. The student ignored the contact and continued walking until she realized the two girls were following her, according to DPS.

One of the girls punched the student in the face and shortly after, so did the other, both demanding money.

The student reached into her purse but the two left the scene before any property was taken.

The student reported the incident to the Department of Public Safety, but declined both Milwaukee Police Department assistance and medical attention.

Asian and Pacific Islander Association brings international figures to campus

Japanese Consul General Mitsuo Sakaba will present “The Effects of U.S. Policy in Japan” at noon today as part of Soup with Substance in Alumni Memorial Union room 227. The event is sponsored by the Office of Student Development and University Ministry.

Also Tuesday, Dith Pran, whose story of survival in the Cambodia of the Khmer Rouge was told in the movie “The Killing Fields,” will present “Genocide: The Curse of the 20th Century” at 5 p.m. in Straz Hall 105.

The speaking events are part of Asian and Pacific Islander heritage celebration.

College holds food drive

The College of Health Sciences Student Council is holding a fall food drive through Dec. 3. The group is asking for food donations including canned goods, cereal, boxed foods and other non-perishable items. Food is being collected at the entrance to the Schroeder Complex, the exercise science program office, the Physician Assistant Studies Building and Monitor Hall. All donations will be given to Food for Families sponsored by WISN-TV (Channel 12).