Burckel receives librarian of year

“It’s especially gratifying to receive the award because it is given by my professional colleagues,” Burckel said. “Recognition by one’s peers carries a special meaning.”

Burckel received a plaque and a $500 check at the Wisconsin Library Association Annual Conference Awards Banquet Oct. 29.

“This is something you don’t seek,” Burckel said. “It’s not something you take a test for.”

Peter Gottlieb, archivist and director of the library and archives at the Wisconsin Historical Society, nominated Burckel for the award.

“When I heard that he had won the award, I was just very gratified for him and for all of those who believed he was an obvious choice,” Gottlieb said. “I certainly hope it brings him even further recognition and I think it will make people understand even better how Marquette has benefited from Nick’s leadership.”

According to the Wisconsin Library Association, the Librarian of the Year Award recognizes community betterment through broadened scope and quality of service, contribution to any area of services benefiting library users, distinguished services in the profession, leadership in education and in service training for librarians, extension of library services through cooperation, improvement in library techniques or management, development of library facilities and contributions at regional, state and national levels.

Christine Jameson, media specialist at Forest Park Middle School and a member of the Librarian of the Year committee said, “He participated at many levels and he published in an area that is not widely published.”

“He is enormously successful at Marquette,” said Kenneth Frazier, the director of Libraries at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and a Wisconsin Library Association member. “He more than doubled the collection at the new library and he’s worked very successfully with the library and students.”

Burckel studied at Georgetown University and received his masters and doctorate from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. He has edited and helped write six books, including “Growth and Change in a Wisconsin County,” “Kenosha: Historical Sketches” and “Kenosha Perspectives.” He is author of over a dozen articles and 100 reviews in archival, library and historical journals. He has received numerous awards from the American Association for State and Local History, the Council for Wisconsin Writers, the State Historical Society of Wisconsin, and UW-Milwaukee. In 1996, then-president William Clinton, appointed Burckel to a four-year term on the National Historical Publications and Records Commission. Burckel was reappointed and now serves on its executive committee.