TB threat remains slight to students

A Milwaukee Health Department spokesperson reiterated Wednesday that a tuberculosis case did not pose a serious health threat to the Marquette community.

At the same time, a university statistics professor said there was a “significant” probability that 16 students and faculty members who recently tested positive for exposure to tuberculosis were exposed through contact with an infected faculty member.

Stephen J. Merrill, professor of mathematics, statistics and computer science, said given a 3 percent exposure rate on the average college campus, and the 16 percent exposure rate in the sample of Marquette faculty and students tested, there was reason to believe that the majority of the students and faculty that tested positive were exposed through contact with the teacher.

“There’s an assumption there,” Merrill said. “There’s no way to know what the actual average rate of exposure on Marquette’s campus is.” But, given the current numbers, “it suggests that there is some sort of exposure there.”

However, a faculty member who specializes in immunizations said that the positive results on the skin test did not mean that those tested would develop tuberculosis.

“Something like 95 percent of those who test positive for exposure will never develop tuberculosis,” said Director of Clinical Education Vince Lombardo.

Lombardo said there would be long-term ramifications for those exposed to the virus.

“They are not to take a skin test if they tested positive,” Lombardo said. “If they, say, apply for a job that requires tuberculosis testing, they will have to submit a photocopy of their chest X-ray to show that it is negative.”

A Milwaukee Health Department echoed Lombardo’s sentiments.

“Tuberculosis is not a highly contagious disease,” said Devon Baker of the Milwaukee Health Department. “The fact is that 95 percent of the people who are exposed will never get the disease. These health risks are minimal.”

A total of 100 students and faculty members were tested for exposure to the disease following the teacher’s diagnosis in late October. All those tested will receive chest X-rays and a follow-up test in February to ensure that the exposure is not continuing.

Tuberculosis is spread when a person infected with the disease exhales spores, through the action of sneezing and coughing, onto another person, according to the Federal Center for Disease Control web site. Those people who test positive for latent tuberculosis are not in danger of passing the disease on to others, according to the Web site. However, the site warns that people infected with the latent form of the bacteria can develop the disease later in life if they do not receive treatment for the latent form.

Any students or faculty member can obtain a free tuberculosis test through University Student Health Services. More information can be obtained by calling 288-7184.,”Brian O’Connor”