Area venues provide late night diversions

Frequently, showings of cult classics bring the same audiences back to midnight movies over and over.

The people of Milwaukee have embraced midnight movies with open arms. Showings at the Oriental Theatre and Times Cinema have brought audiences out in droves. Both of these theaters has its own brand of elements and audiences to keep the midnight hour special.

The Oriental Theatre

Milwaukee’s largest Theatre, the Oriental Theatre, 2230 N. Farwell Ave., was built in 1927 with a distinct East Indies motif and seats 1,100 in its main auditorium. According to the theater’s handout, the Oriental holds eight lion statues, 42 elephant heads, 26 dragons, and “six larger-than-life Buddhas and a 1988 renovation provided the spectacular paint job that currently graces the halls of the Oriental.”

But all of this classic and exotic beauty belies the Oriental’s midnight legacy.

Midnight movies have been a part of the Oriental’s schedule for a long time. There has been a continuous midnight showing of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” since January 1978. The Oriental was one of the first theaters in the United States to recognize the lasting power of “Rocky Horror,” largely considered to be the king of all cult-classics .

According to theater manager Julie Perkoski the Oriental claims the longest continuously running presentation of “Rocky Horror” anywhere in the world.

Regulars to the Oriental’s showing of “Rocky Horror” are true to the spirit of the film’s enthusiasts.

In addition to the presentation of the film, “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” is acted out by a regular cast in full costume. Audience involvement is key as callback lines yelled at the screen are commonplace throughout the movie.

To help prepare for the experience first time viewers of the movie, referred to as “virgins,” are made an integral part of the performance as well. They are forced to recite the “Virgin Pledge” and are frequently required to partake in absurd activities and contests. The only thing frowned upon by “Rocky Horror” regulars is refusal to participate.

While “Rocky Horror” regulars are generally perceived as odd individuals, Perkoski assured that a typical “Rocky Horror” crowd features a wide variety of people.

“There are parents that bring their children,” Perkoski said.

Also, dressing up in character, while appreciated, is not the norm as most attendees dress in street clothes.

Doors open at 11:30 p.m. this Saturday and every second and fourth Saturday of the month. Tickets are $8.50, but the first five people dressed in costume get in free.

More information regarding the “Rocky Horror Picture Show” and Sensual Daydreams, the nickname for the Milwaukee chapter, can be found at its Web site, http://www.altslashgo.com/sd/. For show times and other Oriental information, call the theater at 276-8711.

The Times Cinema

If you’re yearning for the days of yore when movie theaters only had one screen and were showing timeless pictures, then the Times Cinema, 5906 W. Vilet St., is your place. It features the “Friday Night Freak Show” every Friday at midnight.

In addition to the retro feel, the audience gets to play a role in which movies are shown on the Times’ silver screen. In fact, most of the films are chosen based on audience demand, according to Mark Lippert, assistant manager at the Times.

Generally, the movies shown are what could be considered cult-classics. Instead of trekking down to the local Blockbuster to hunt down a copy of an obscure classic, chances are you could get it to play at the Times. Recent popular movies at the Times have been “Donnie Darko,” “Casino Royale” and “The Princess Bride,” according to Lippert. This week’s feature is “American Pie.”

Movies at the Times also have more of an “event” feeling than overpaying to see some poorly made, over-hyped new movie. The Times puts the personality back into the movie experience, and due to only having one screen, the theater is able to devote all of its décor to theme and characters of the movie that is playing that Friday night. Every feature is only $4 and often includes either pre- or post-movie entertainment. These extras range anywhere from live bands to magic shows, often depending on the theme of the movie, Lippert said.

Lippert said audiences for the midnight movie are mostly in their teens and early 20s. The movies are regarded as a lot of fun for little money and represent an entertaining alternative to alcohol, Lippert said. And like their counterparts at the Oriental, the Times’ audience really gets into the shows also often dressing the part of their favorite characters from that week’s film.

For more information check out www.timescinema.com/freakshow.htm or call 453-2436.