Dahm leads pack in NCAA Nationals

The squad finished ahead of Wisconsin (26th place), Tennessee (24th place), Nebraska (30th place) and Texas (31st place). It was only one spot behind Wake Forest (21st place) and Duke (20th place). The Golden Eagles also beat the Indiana team (27th place) that snuck in front of them at the Great Lakes Regional meet last week.

“You really want to beat the teams in your region, it was good to beat Wisconsin again and to move past Indiana who beat us in the regional,” head coach Dave Uhrich said.

The team was led by senior Brianna Dahm, who finished first for the team and 45th overall with a time of 20:57.3. Dahm, who has been battling various nagging injuries all season, finally got back into form. This was her first appearance at nationals in two years after red-shirting last cross country season.

Sophomore Jodi Jakubek, who has consistently been Marquette’s top runner this year, finished second for the team and 51st overall with a time of 21:03.9. Jakubek has been the team’s top scorer in each of the four meets she has raced in, and was named Conference USA Athlete of the Week for women’s cross country after her performance at Williamette, Ore.

Sophomore transfer Michaela Courtney finished third for the team and 115th overall with a time of 21:32. Courtney, who transferred from Wisconsin this year, started the season well but had to deal with injuries and fatigue as the year wore on. She began to turn it around last week at the Great Lakes Regional, finishing fifth for the team.

“This was definitely her best race,” Uhrich said. “We obviously needed for her to come through like she did, she really helped the team.”

Senior Audrey Schiltz finished fourth for the team and 131st overall with a time of 21:42.2 in her last cross country race as a Golden Eagle. Schiltz also played a crucial role in both the C-USA meet and the regional qualifying meet, finishing fifth at C-USA and fifth at regionals.

Sophomore Susie Emond finished fifth for the team and 167th overall with a time of 22:07. This was her first time scoring at a national meet, after finishing seventh for the team last year.

Freshman Heidi Lindeman and senior Jamie Haro rounded out the finishers for Marquette. Lindeman finished sixth for the team and 175th overall with a time of 22:13.7, and Haro finished seventh for the team and 200th overall with a time of 22:40.5. Along with Schiltz, Haro ran her last cross country race in the blue and gold, as she will be graduating this year.

Stanford won the meet on both the men’s and the women’s side, knocking off last year’s women’s champs BYU, who finished a mere eight points behind the Cardinals. Marquette’s future Big East neighbors finished as follows: Notre Dame took 10th place, Villanova took 11th, and Georgetown took 16th.

Seven of the nine teams Marquette beat had been ranked above the Golden Eagles by the most recent national coaches’ poll, including last-place finisher Texas.