Support staff anticipates long, hard break

For Darlene Liegl, the director of college administration in the College of Arts & Sciences, there is no break.

“We’re really busy,” she said.

In all colleges, Liegl said, final grades are due by Dec. 16 at noon. Part of the responsibilities of each college’s administration is processing the grades so they can be put up on Web Window.

Each college also goes through the Scholastic Actions process, which places students on academic probation or withdraws them from Marquette. Liegl said the university is closed only from Dec. 24 to 26 for Christmas, as well as New Year’s Day.

Student Health Services is also open for winter break, and staff members say they use the break time to catch up on paperwork. However, international and graduate students are still on campus so SHS has students coming in for appointments as well.

Staff at the Counseling Center said the center is typically not as busy over break, and many have taken vacations over the break. They are still open over the break, but the staff said they do a lot of catch-up work as well.

University Ministry also will not be very busy, according to staff. Because most of University Ministry’s work happens during the school year and the Rev. Will Prospero, assistant director of University Ministry, plans to be on pilgrimage during part of break, the office will be open but does not have much scheduled.

The Department of Public Safety will be fully staffed over the break, according to Capt. Russ Shaw, associate director of DPS. Student Safety Programs will run, according to Sgt. Daniel Kolosovsky, the director of SSP, but at a smaller scale.

“We work around student schedules, and most of the students leave for break, so we’re not as busy,” Kolosovsky said.

He said LIMOs will still run from 5 p.m. to 3 a.m. as usual, except for Christmas Eve and Christmas, as well as New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day, when DPS officers will fill in for the student safety workers. Additionally, there have been times where there were not enough SSP workers to run the LIMOs, in which case DPS officers stepped in to help out, he said.

“We’ve never had a year where we and DPS couldn’t cover the needs of the students,” Kolosovsky said.

Some employees do have winter break off, however, and they are making plans to enjoy their time.

“I’ll be spending quality time with my family,” said Carrie Davis, a food service worker in Straz Tower. “Christmas is my favorite time of the year.”