A great rivalry is reborn

Even more importantly, as the dust settled, a rivalry was reborn.

“It’s a great rivalry, there’s no doubt about it,” head coach Tom Crean said. “I’m so glad that Mike and Kevin White, their athletic director, allowed this game to come back. We certainly wanted to play it. I think a lot of you know this, this was a big big deal to Al McGuire when he was living. In the year and a half I got to spend with him, this came up a lot. He felt that this made a lot of sense.

“It will be great to have games like this as a fixture in our schedule in the next couple of years.”

Fighting Irish head coach Mike Brey echoed those same sentiments.

“When Tommy and I decided to do this game, I know people here really rallied,” he said. “But I don’t know how many of our fans in South Bend said ‘I’m so glad that you started this series back up with Marquette.’ Then they started telling stories about Al McGuire and Digger, and this and that.”

The Marquette fans were clearly more excited for this home game than any other since last year’s home loss to Louisville. There was even more energy than the win over Cincinnati that was followed by the Golden Eagles being crowned Conference USA champions.

With every call the fans were ready to erupt in jubilation or disgust. Even the student section stepped up its creativity. Rather than the usual “We love Diener” signs, there was some more creative fare. For instance, “Stick to football,” “Notre Lame” and “Merritt, we love the ‘stache.”

It’s all in good fun, but we do love the mustache. And we could all get used to seeing this game every season.