Speaker supports evolution debate

His opposition to Darwinism and support of supernatural involvement in the world’s development has attracted praise and hostility from both sides of the issue. Popular opinion, though, seems to side with Johnson.

In his 40-minute presentation, he cited a Gallup poll that indicated the majority of Americans believe God was somehow involved in the formation of the planet’s current species. Less than 10 percent of the respondents were strict believers in “naturalistic evolution,” he said.

“The evidence of science doesn’t point to natural mechanisms to do all the creating,” Johnson said of the intelligent design theory. “It points to the need for an intelligent designer.”

Though he supports the idea that nature could not have arrived at its current position without outside assistance, Johnson emphasized that “intelligent design is not meant to prove the existence of (a) God, (nor) is intelligent design science.”

“Evidence supports the idea that (there is an) intelligent cause in biology,” he said.

Johnson’s other contribution to the evolution-creationism debate — an amendment that suggested students be able to “distinguish the data or testable theories of science from philosophical or religious claims that are made in the name of science” and understand why biological evolution is controversial — is now a nonbinding part of President George W. Bush’s No Child Left Behind Act, which he signed into law in early 2002.

The amendment, which is known in Congress as the Santorum Amendment after Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Penn.) who proposed it in the U.S. Senate, was widely supported and approved by both houses. It passed the Senate on a 91-8 vote in 2001.

“I never expected the amendment to go further (than the Senate approval),” Johnson said.

While the amendment is included in the No Child Left Behind Act, it is not mandatory or enforceable; its position in the act’s Conference Report allows individuals or states to act as they wish concerning evolution and creationism, which was Johnson’s aim.

“I intended the amendment to be a template for public discussion,” said Johnson, who also encourages teachers in public education to “teach the controversy between evolution and creation.”

Following Johnson’s presentation was a question-and-answer session, which for some was the best part of his lecture.

“Clearly the neatest part was the Q&A,” said pension consultant Mike Francis. “It was good to hear (well-planned) questions and Johnson’s thoughtful responses.”

Johnson, who recently suffered a stroke, has written several best-selling books on the evolution-creationism debate, including “Darwin on Trial” and “The Wedge of Truth.”