Salt Creek adds flavor

If you had to classify Salt Creek’s music, bluegrass would be the tag that fits best. However, the “new-fangled” aspect comes into play with Salt Creek’s incorporation of drums, electric instruments and funk elements to the normal bluegrass sound.

Salt Creek’s skewed take on the bluegrass genre is caused by the diverse backgrounds of its members. O’Brien has a great interest in Celtic music and the music of the Middle East. Guitarist Jim Eanelli has played with members of Milwaukee rock favorites the Violent Femmes and the BoDeans. And bassist Guy Fiorentini has a similarly diverse musical background, playing folk, punk and “psychedelic garage rock” at different points in his musical career. Yet the product of these diverse musical histories produce a classic sound, though with new touches.

With the overwhelming success of the soundtrack to “O Brother Where Art Thou,” bluegrass was briefly brought to the forefront of the music industry, but Salt Creek does not have such grandiose aspirations. O’Brien said the band’s goals include eventually touring with other bluegrass bands such as Yonder Mountain String Band and acts of less classic persuasion such as the BoDeans.

Salt Creek is currently playing a weekly gig at Conway’s. Setlists will consist largely of tracks off the band’s debut release, Rollin’ Forward and the rest is largely up to the audience.

“A good audience will get up and dance, inspiring us to go into some periods of improvisation,” O’Brien said.

Salt Creek’s shows are held every Thursday at 10 p.m. The shows are 21 until the restaurant section of Conway’s opens. Entrance to the shows is $3 with a MarquetteCard.