5,000 walkers expected to raise funds for AIDS

Over 5,000 walkers will take to the streets Sunday for the 14th annual AIDS Walk Wisconsin.

The 10-kilometer walk will begin at the Summerfest grounds, lead up and down the shore of Lake Michigan and guide walkers back to the Summerfest grounds for closing ceremonies.

Gov. Jim Doyle and wife Jessica have been named honorary co-chairs of the AIDS Walk. The Doyles have participated in many AIDS walks in the past, said Chris Allen, associate director of Development at the AIDS Resource Center. They are very excited about their leadership position in the Walk, he said.

Five thousand people are expected to take to the lakefront, which is 1,000 more than last year, Allen said.

The walk, sponsored by the AIDS Resource Center of Wisconsin, is "the state's largest fundraiser benefiting AIDS prevention, care, and treatment throughout Wisconsin," he said.

Members of Marquette's Alpha Chi Omega sorority are walking Sunday, said senior Angie Zunker, vice president of education for Alpha Chi Omega.

"I do love walking for a good cause and it's even more fun when you're walking with friends for a good cause," she said.

Last year, an estimated $522,000 was raised during the walk. This year the organization is looking to add to that, Allen said.

A portion of the net proceeds will be used to benefit 10 AIDS organizations across the state. The remainder of the profits is used to provide housing, food, legal assistance, medical care and prevention programs for gay men, women and youth.

Many walkers feel pride in walking in the event. Bill Wardlow, owner of the bar Fluid, 819 S. 2nd St., has brought together a group of 12 people to walk.

"I've lost a lot of friends in the last 15 years," he said. "I feel the need to get as much money together for those I've lost, and for the people still living with AIDS."

Mayor John O. Norquist will be attending the AIDS Walk. He has participated in the walk many times and has said it is a "very urgent and significant cause," said Steve Filmanowicz, communications director for Norquist.

"It brings people together to fight for an important cause that affects many people in Milwaukee," he said.

Sponsors for the event include FOX 6 WITI, 94.5 FM WKTI, Miller Brewing Company and 17 other sponsors.

The reported number of new HIV cases in Wisconsin increased 16 percent last year, with a 24 percent increase among youth and women. There are 8,000 reported cases of HIV, and nearly 3,000 deaths due to the HIV virus, according to the AIDS Resource Center Web site.

Although registration to participate in AIDS Walk Wisconsin is over, AIDS Walk officials say every year people come and walk simply to show their support. The walk begins at noon Sunday and continues until 3:30 p.m.

Emily Palm contributed to this report.