Actor activist to unveil Raynor

The new library features state-of-the art technology, improved study areas and comfortable amenities, said Dean of Libraries Nicholas Burckel.

“The Raynor merges conventional library resources with innovative technology to create a library complex that will serve students, faculty and community far into the future,” Burckel said.

According to Burckel, the library, a “progressive learning center”, houses programs, technology and tools that will provide students the practical skills they will need when they enter their professional lives.

The library is also equipped with more than 200 computer work stations. Burckel said the electronic resources of the Raynor Library will now provide access to about 18,000 print and online periodicals and more than 4,000 e-books. Memorial Library will still carry books as well.

“All of the book collection, with the exception of reference and browsing material, will be housed in Memorial and it will most likely stay that way,” Burckel said.

Raynor Library is also equipped with a first floor study area open 24 hours a day, high-tech classrooms, numerous small group study areas and improved computer areas.

One highlight of the building, according to Burckel, is that it is completely wireless.

“We’re seeing more students bringing in their laptops to work,” said Susan Hopwood, coordinator of research services for Marquette’s libraries.

Tables in the building are equipped with ethernet jacks and outlets so that students can work on their own computers, Burckel said.

According to both Burckel and Hopwood, there are many distinguishing characteristics of the new library, especially from a user standpoint.

“The comfortable seating is a great thing for us to have,” Hopwood said. “We now have traditional reading chairs and more group study areas.”

Hopwood also said that the addition of the Writing Center, which moved from Monitor Hall, is another plus for students.

Other notable features of the Raynor Library are the Rev. Francis Paul Prucha, S.J. Archives Reading Room, the Brew on the Bridge, the Tommy Thompson room and the J.R.R. Tolkein and Dorothy Day storage area, Burckel said.

“We use the area for the Tolkein manuscripts and the Dorothy Day letters and our other older archives,” Burckel said. “It’s a room inside of a room that we keep at a constant cool temperature to preserve the material.”

According to Burckel, students can use the material for any sort of research.

“All they have to do is identify what they need to our staff and then it will be brought out to them,” Burckel said.

Students played an active role in the decision-making process for the Raynor Library, including advising on the furniture selection, library hours and identifying services that students utilize most, according to Hopwood.

“Our 24-7 study area on the first floor really meets the student demand for additional study space,” Hopwood said.

Library usage is still climbing, according to Hopwood, with as many as 3,000 people a day and an average of 1,000 to 2,000.

“We expect that number to go up still,” Hopwood said.

According to Hopwood, due to the increase in student usage, the Brew on the Bridge has extended its hours to 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Fridays. The shop is closed on weekends.

“Raynor’s really wide open it seems,” junior Lisa Papajcik said. “Though I typically study in the Union, I like it here because there’s great study areas and computer labs.”

An outdoor party for students will be held on the lawn of Raynor on Oct. 3 from 4 to 6 p.m.

Planning for the Raynor began 6 years ago. Completion was set back by one month due to the early-morning fire in the building in May that caused no significant damage, Burckel said.,”Rikida N. Starace”