MU falters at Challenge

In the late match on Friday, the Golden Eagles faced Bradley, which owned a record of 2-5. After dropping the first game, 31-29, Marquette rallied back to win three consecutive games with scores of 30-26, 30-22, and 30-21, earning the victory.

Day two of the tournament saw Bradley take on Missouri in a battle of teams looking for their first tournament victory. Missouri made quick work of Bradley, defeating it in three games with final scores of 30-18, 30-16, and 30-22.

The later match between the Golden Eagles and Ohio lasted a total of four games. After winning game one, 30-25, the Golden Eagles could not hold off Ohio, which managed to capture the next three games, 30-27, 30-27 and 30-28. Each game went right down to the finish, with the Golden Eagles having the lead late only to see Ohio come back and pick up the win.

The final set of matches on Saturday night started out when Ohio faced Bradley. In three games, Ohio defeated Bradley 30-24, 30-26 and 30-25, to go undefeated in the tournament. With the loss, Bradley was the only team to go home without a win from the City Centre Challenge.

The last match of the tournament pitted the Golden Eagles against the Missouri Tigers, who both came into the match with a 1-1 tournament record. After three games, the tournament came to an end, as Missouri won the match with scores of 30-22, 30-25 and 30-26. The loss moved the Golden Eagles’ record to 2-7 on the season.

After the tournament came to a close, the Holiday Inn City Center Challenge Tournament Team was announced. Sophomore Theresa Coughlin was the lone Marquette representative. She joined Missouri’s Mary Lauren Smith and Shen Danru, and Ohio’s Briana Adamovsky, Julia Winkfield and tournament MVP Laura Hageman.

This season, Coughlin is the only player who has made the all-tournament teams in the three tournaments the team has taken part in this year. According to head coach Pati Rolf, Coughlin’s energy has a lot to do with her success.

“I think because she plays with a lot of energy and emotion she has been successful this year,” Rolf said. “No matter how tough it gets, Theresa keeps getting after it and keeps going and going. Against Missouri she had beautiful play at the end of the game. I think that is what it was that stood out in people’s minds. Other coaches see the leadership in her, which is why she was selected to the team.”

Next weekend the team heads to Montana to participate in the Wingate INNvitational against Montana State, Gonzaga and Wyoming. Going into the tournament, Rolf has high expectations for her team.

“This weekend should be a good test to see if we can come in at our level and try to dominate for the first few points of every game and not give our opponent a chance to get back into the match,” Rolf said.