Campus pride flies high

A dedication for the flags took place last Thursday, a day that was chosen to commemorate the second anniversary of the terrorist attacks in New York.

“We are standing here today to recognize all of the men and women who lost their lives two years ago,” said Kate Agnew, Marquette Student Government president. “We are also standing here to remember what we experienced as a Marquette community on September 11, 2001.”

In their speeches, Agnew and University President the Rev. Robert A. Wild focused on the fact that the idea of this display came from students and was inspired by the lack of a flag in a central location on campus.

“This flag display was born out of your remembrance,” Wild said to a group of over 100 students, faculty and members of the community.

The location of the display, along West Wisconsin Avenue between the Raynor and Memorial Libraries, was chosen by MUSG with student input last year.

Junior Dave Lindesmith, former MUSG legislative vice president, mentioned that aspect of the display in his speech.

“The display is a beautiful addition to downtown and a centerpiece on campus,” Lindesmith said.

Members of Marquette’s Reserve Officers Training Corp. also participated in the ceremony, putting the flags up the poles and then lowering them to half-mast in honor of Sept. 11.

The plaque that will go along with the flags will be placed at the site sometime within the next few weeks, Agnew said.

The plaque will read: “This flag display is a tribute to the men and women who serve our country and uphold its ideals. The students of Marquette University are grateful for the sacrifices these individuals have made, which enables the freedoms we all enjoy. In this spirit, we strive to be men and women for others.”