Grimm slows down Hoya big man

The first six minutes of Thursday night's game were "The Roy Hibbert Show." Georgetown's 7-foot-2 sophomore received one good entry pass after another from his teammates and converted every opportunity into two points for the Hoyas.

Hibbert's layup with 14:44 to play in the half gave Georgetown a 14-7 lead, its largest margin all game. Hibbert had scored eight of those points and was 4-for-4 from the floor at that point.

Enter 6-foot-10 Chris Grimm.

The senior center had been on the court for a total of 83 minutes this season but belied his lack of playing time and rendered Hibbert useless.

He "played with a great sense of urgency," said Marquette head coach Tom Crean. "And when you get into this time of year and when you get into games like this with Georgetown, it's not as much about the height differential or the weight differential. It's about aggressiveness, and I thought he brought us great aggressiveness."

Grimm and Hibbert were on the floor together for 13 minutes and 28 seconds. During that time Hibbert managed only two offensive rebounds, one defensive rebound and a missed tip in.

To put that in perspective, Hibbert scored 17 points on 8-of-9 shooting and grabbed five rebounds in the 20-and-a-half minutes he was not being defended by Grimm.

To be fair to his teammates, Grimm was not the only reason Hibbert sustained long stretches of ineffectiveness.

"Every time they'd come out I'd say, 'We have to throw it in, we have to throw it in,'" said Georgetown coach John Thompson III. "They did a good job of taking it away. They did a good job of really pressuring the passers so they couldn't throw it down.

Taking care of the ball

After finding what appeared to be a remedy to their turnover woes against Rutgers on Feb. 12, the Golden Eagles showed signs early on Thursday that they were reverting to their Villanova ways.

After giving the ball up 25 times against the Wildcats, Marquette lost the ball only 11 times against the Scarlet Knights.

With 10 minutes to play in the first half against Georgetown, the Golden Eagles had six turnovers and were on pace to cough it up 24 times. However, Marquette did not lose possession for the remainder of the first half and finished the game with an acceptable 13 turnovers.

During the final 10 minutes of the opening half, the Golden Eagles outscored Georgetown 16-8 and went into the locker room with a five-point lead.