Students rally with thousands in Washington

Students along with celebrities, government officials and other participants from across the nation gathered in the capital over the weekend at a rally pushing for action in Darfur, Sudan.Along with University of Wisconsin-Madison and UW-Milwaukee students, 41 Marquette students gathered on the National Mall Sunday afternoon in Washington, D.C., to "Rally to Stop Genocide." The group of 51 students met at the Alumni Memorial Union Saturday and returned to campus Monday morning, according to Paula Simon, coordinator for the Darfur Action Coalition of Wisconsin.

Various departments from Marquette, along with other organizations and individuals around the Milwaukee area, donated money toward the bus fare, said Simon, who is also the executive director of Milwaukee Jewish Council for committee relations.

Amy Doherty, a freshman in the College of Arts & Sciences, said there were more people at the rally than she had expected.

"How many people showed up to show their support was really amazing," said Doherty, who attended a rally for the first time.

According to Doherty, some of the people in attendance Sunday included George Clooney, Paul Rusesabagina, Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.), House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, (D-Calif.) and Joey Cheek, the Olympic gold-medal speed skater who donated his $25,000 prize money to the children of Darfur.

"The rally demonstrated to the president that this is an issue that people do care about. It's not a backburner issue anymore," Simon said. "The people are profoundly concerned about it."

Simon also said the issue is "not so overwhelming or complex that there isn't a solution," which makes it easier for people to get involved and stand up for the cause.

"I think regarding of your personal faith or your ethnic background, there's a level of moral servitude," she said. "People know that this is wrong. People know that genocide is wrong and people know that they should stand against it."

College of Nursing junior Julie Pintar said it is important for people to take a stand on the issue.

"It's really important to have people behind the voices … actually there showing that there are people who care," Pintar said before leaving on Saturday.

Pintar, who expected enthusiastic and caring people to be there, said more students are starting to be educated on the issues now and are "driven enough to do something about it.",”James A. Molnar “