Outlets ‘prime’ for students’ pockets

Driving along I-94 between Chicago and Milwaukee offers a plethora of shops and restaurants for travelers to rest and refuel.

Approximately 45 minutes from the Marquette campus is the Prime Outlets in Pleasant Prairie. This is one place students should plan a day to go and visit.

There are plenty of malls and shopping centers in the suburbs around Milwaukee, but there's a certain aspect to outlet malls that any person on a limited budget can appreciate — low prices.

The Pleasant Prairie location has almost 100 stores, ranging from gourmet food stores to home furnishings, with more on the way.

One of the best stores to hit Pleasant Prairie is the Gap outlet. The prices are amazing. A person can easily walk out of the store with a bag full of goodies and little wallet damage. Two shirts, a sweater and a pair of jeans can run to just a little over $50 including tax, which would only be enough money for the jeans in the regular store. Great deals from a well-known brand.

Also from Gap Inc. is the Banana Republic outlet with its popular young professional style clothing. Coming soon are Old Navy, Gapkids and Baby Gap.

In the same vein as Banana Republic is J. Crew, which is already stocking its signature sweaters and fall apparel. Cable knit sweaters in solid colors as well as argyle can be found at $10 less than regular price.

For sports fans both Adidas and Nike have a presence. Gym shoes, athletic wear and socks are all available with a small price cut.

There are designer clothing stores aplenty. Tommy Hilfiger, Polo Ralph Lauren, United Colors of Benetton and Calvin Klein all have stores.

In the world of designer purses, Coach is in high demand. For some, the purses would be out of price range (since there are a few that are over $400 even at a discounted price). But there are wristlets that are affordable at $38-$44 and are ever so adorable. If you'd love a leather iPod case — white, black, neon pink and blue — Coach can also oblige.

If you're looking to stock up on snack foods for the dorm or your apartment, Prime Outlets has a few stores that can satisfy those needs. Pepperidge Farm has a store full of product, including those little Goldfish crackers and tasty Milano cookies. If your tastes are a bit higher, there's Harry & David, a gourmet food store. Snacks and foods range from bags of caramel popcorn and honey mustard pretzels to cheesecakes and truffles.

To take advantage of Prime Outlets' great shopping experience, it'd be best to go early to avoid the large crowds in the stores and the parking lot jam ups.

All the shopping and walking (since it is an outdoor mall) can work up an appetite. For now, the food court is still being constructed so there's only a Quizno's and a hot dog vendor. So either bring a snack or shop until hunger pangs make it so you can't shop any more.

http://www.primeoutlets.com