Louie king of bars

When a restaurant induces cravings a week after a person dines at the establishment, there's a winning system in place. Bar Louie, Water Street's newest restaurant/bar combination, has the power to make diners want more well after their dinner has ended.

Bar Louie, located at 1114 N. Water St., is the place for young professionals to grab a drink and a bite to eat after work or the place to eat before a night on the town. The lively atmosphere is aided by the buzz from table to table and the large plasma television screens hanging above the bar.

Rich browns and modern photography surround diners as they consume the tasty foods.

Start with an appetizer or the small plate selection; this is where Bar Louie will get you and make you a repeat customer.

There are choices like chicken tenders which can be fried or grilled (both $6.99), potstickers ($7.99) or crispy calamari ($7.99). But the fried zucchini ($6.99) is the best bet. A serving of about six zucchini sticks are served with a delicious onion ranch dip. There's enough to share between two people; three if you're not too hungry.

For the entrAce portion of the meal, there are four choices: large plates which range in price from $10.99 to $13.99, sandwiches $6.99 to $9.99, burgers $5.99 to $8.99 and salads $3.99 to $12.99.

It's a large enough scale to satisfy any budget, plus the menu provides for both the carnivores and the vegetarians.

Of the large plates, try Louie's Mac & Cheese ($8.99). A four-cheese medley with a crispy, baked topping is, as the menu says, a large serving.

There's enough for a college student to have leftovers for at least one more meal. There's also the option to add either chicken or shrimp (an additional $2 to $3).

For the sandwiches, there's the California Chicken Club ($8.99). It's a club sandwich with chicken, bacon, lettuce, tomato, pepper Jack cheese and avocado.

A flavorful addition is the same tasty onion ranch sauce that was used for dipping for the fried zucchini appetizer.

The dessert list isn't large with just three choices: carrot cake, chocolate cake and cheesecake with raspberry sauce, all for $6.99 each. Most likely, people won't find the room for dessert after finishing their main course.

One of the only objections someone could have with Bar Louie involves the wait staff. In the classy, contemporary setting, the waiters and waitresses are wearing jeans and T-shirts while the patrons tend to be business casual.

Bar Louie is open seven days a week from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. for lunch, dinner and late night dining.