Bill Scholl hired as new Athletic Director

Photo via ballstatesports.com

Marquette hired Bill Scholl as its new vice president and director of athletics, the school announced Tuesday.

Scholl, who held the same position at Ball State for the past two years, will start in mid-October.

“Our search committee did a tremendous job of finding a leader who embraces our tradition, shares our values and shows an adept ability to navigate the changing landscape of intercollegiate athletics,” President Michael R. Lovell said in the press release.  “Bill brings a combination of strong leadership qualities that are grounded in integrity, an extensive history of leading successful athletic programs and a track record of developing student-athletes who are scholars and who compete at the highest level of NCAA athletics.”

At Ball State, Scholl oversaw 19 different sports. At his alma mater Notre Dame, where he was deputy athletics director most recently, he oversaw the women’s basketball program transition into a perennial top-10 program.

“Marquette clearly is committed to excellence in all of its athletics programs and boasts one of the premier men’s basketball programs in the nation,” Scholl said in the press release. “I look forward not only to helping maintain that standard but working with our programs as we strive to reach new heights. Equally important to me is the fit I have with the faith-based values of Marquette. Through my discussions with university leaders, I am excited to be part of a culture that is so genuinely committed to service.”

Dr. Bill Henk, the dean of the College of Education who chaired the search committee, felt Scholl’s grasp on Marquette’s culture set him apart.

“This process was an excellent marriage between our talented Korn/Ferry search firm partners and our deeply thoughtful search committee, one that resulted in hiring a seasoned athletic leader with integrity and vision,” Henk said in the press release. “In addition to seeking a proven winner, we aspired to securing an athletic director who understood Marquette, our mission, and the importance of the student-athlete experience.”