The Gus Knorr Show – 2/20/12

Hey everyone! This week’s episode of The Gus Knorr Show is sure to be a good one, and will be a continuation of last week’s show. Last week, I played some music that helped to shape rock and roll up until 1954, when Elvis Presley recorded his first singles at the Sun Studios in Memphis. This week, I will be playing a progression of rock and roll music from some of its greatest pioneers from 1954 to 1959.

• The first song tonight is by legendary bluesman Muddy Waters, who had an important impact in shaping rock and roll. This single of his was released in 1954; it’s “Hoochie Coochie Man.”
    • Next up is a jump blues song by Big Joe Turner with some elements of rock and roll, and was also covered by Bill Haley. This song is “Shake, Rattle, and Roll” and was released in 1954.
    • Switching things up for a little bit with some newer songs, the next song, “Nothing Ever Changes Around Here,” is by San Francisco-based band The Well Wishers, off their new album Dreaming of the West Coast.
    • What follows is another new song from the band The Beautiful View; it’s “The Horsemen,” off their album Life is Beautiful.
    • Moving back to rock and roll music from the 1950s, the next song is by that New Orleans legend, Fats Domino, launching a several-year period of success for him, following his 1949 single, “The Fat Man.” This song, from 1955, is “Ain’t That a Shame.”
    • Next is a song by The Originator himself, Bo Diddley, a somewhat-forgotten but still incredibly important figure in the history of rock and roll. Appropriately enough, it’s called “Bo Diddley.”
    • Another song from 1955 is next, and the song is “Maybellene,” by guitar-playing legend Chuck Berry, his first of several high charting hits during the decade.
    • This next song is by the truly awesome Little Richard, who has been said to almost single-handledly launch rock and roll with a single decasyllabic onomatopaeic proclamation. (Hint: A-wop-bop-a-loo-bop-a-lop-bop-bop) Of course, I am talking about “Tutti Frutti.”
    • Next up is a song by a pioneer in the sub-genre of rockabilly, and recorded at the Sun Studios in Memphis. This song, “Blue Suede Shoes,” was recorded first by Carl Perkins, and was his most successful single, being released in January of 1956. It was later covered by Elvis Presley, who would become somewhat of a big name that same year.
    • This big name recorded his first number one single in January of 1956, and was released as a single the same month. Three months later, it propelled Elvis to international stardom and fame by becoming his first number one single; it’s “Heartbreak Hotel.”
    • The next song is more of a country song, but by a legend who recorded for Sun Records. This is his first hit single from 1956, and I’m talking about “I Walk the Line.”
    • Next is a song by a musician who wouldn’t achieve mainstream success for a couple of years, but this was his first charting single from 1956, also recorded for Sun Records. It’s Roy Orbison, with “Ooby Dooby.”
    • Moving on to 1957 songs, this song is one of the best known ones by Jerry Lee Lewis, who later starred in The Nutty Professor, and is beloved by everyone in France. (Wait, that’s Jerry Lewis. I always get those two mixed up.) Anyway, here’s “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On.”
    • Another song from 1957 is next, and was performed by Buddy Holly, who tragically died in a plane crash on February 3, 1959, a date mandatory to be memorized by any fan of the genre. This was the first hit single for him and his band, The Crickets, which was “That’ll Be the Day.”
    • Next is a 1958 song by The Quarrymen, a British skiffle group who consisted of a couple of guys named John, George, and Paul. (Ringo came later.) This was their first recording from 1958, and is a cover version of “That’ll Be the Day.”
    • Back to America and back to a song from 1957, the next song is by The Everly Brothers, who are actually related. This song, “Bye Bye Love,” was their first hit single from 1957.
    • The Wesley Willis Song of the Week is next, and is his salute to Elvis Presley. Appropriately, it is called “Elvis Presley.”
    • The next song is one by a new band, Carbon Tigers, who performed at the Marquette Annex a few months ago. This song, “Silly Elephant,” was released off their new EP, The Burrows. Another event taking place at the Annex this weekend is Spotlight MKE, a FREE concert. Nine acts will be playing at the concert, which will begin at 7:00 PM on February 25. Be sure to attend this great event, and even more importantly, tell all your friends!
    • Switching back to some rock and roll songs from the late 1950s, the next song is by Ricky Nelson, the son of Ozzie and Harriet. This song, one of his first high-charting singles, released in 1958 when he was eighteen years old, is “Poor Little Fool.”
    • Next up is another single released by a teenager in the summer of 1958. This song, “Summertime Blues,” was released by Eddie Cochran, who unfortunately died two years later in a car accident in England.
    • The final two songs on The Gus Knorr Show were released in 1958, and were each by musicians who died in the plane crash on The Day the Music Died. The first of these is by The Big Bopper, titled “Chantilly Lace.”
    • The final song, of course, was performed by an only 17-year-old Ritchie Valens when it was released as a single in late 1958, and is his version of the Mexican folk song, “La Bamba.”

That’s it for The Gus Knorr Show this week, but be sure to listen in next week at 9:30 PM on February 27 for another great episode of The Gus Knorr Show. Also, if you’re a Marquette student, be sure to A. attend, and B. tell all your friends about Spotlight MKE, at the Annex on Saturday, February 25, at 7:00 PM. Thanks for listening!