Men’s Fashion Trends: Special Edition- Milwaukee Fashion Week

fashionweekelogoheader-1024x179

When most people think of fashion week, they think of New York, Los Angeles and Milan. However, Milwaukee can now be added to the list of cities that have their very own fashion week. Last Wednesday night was dedicated to all things men’s fashion in Milwaukee, and I was thrilled to cover the event.

Screen shot 2012-11-01 at 20.42.10

Wren SolaresĀ 

MKE Fashion Week Initiative was created by Wren Solares. When interviewed, Solares said that the point of MKE Fashion Week was to showcase local artists in all realms of fashion whether it be photography or designing. It is about giving back to the community and giving the spotlight to people who are not only contributing to the art and fashion scene in Milwaukee, but also actively giving back to the community in order to grow and prosper together. Wren Solares’ philosophy is one that I totally agree with, which made me so proud and honored to be able to speak with such a successful and humble person.

S0160517

Designer Jennifer Schultz, her father and one of the models

The fashions that were showcased were all unique in their own right. Jennifer Schultz is the designer of Beckson Market. She designs all different types of bow ties and ties. I loved the fact that she designs purely on the basis of the client. This means that each piece is custom designed to the client, rather than designing for the masses. Another thing I love is that Schultz custom designs ties for men, and even toddlers. All the ties that were hand made by Jennifer Schultz are beautifully designed and come in a variety of styles. If you can think it, she can make it.

S0140515

Another one of the designers is one of the few in the entire country that makes hats. Not snap-back or 5-panel hats, but actual classic traditional hats, such as the fedora. The designer John McLaughlin and his wife are the designers of the brand The Brass Rooster. One of few hat makers still left, The Brass Rooster offers a variety of hats that, like Beckson Market, are all custom made. These fedoras look great and they will fit specifically to your measurements. The material of the hats are definitely worth the price and knowing you have a hat that no one in the world will have is something special in itself.

S0290532

Milwaukee Fashion Week was an experience that I will never forget. Since it was the very first year for the week long event, I am proud to be able to say that I took part in the festivities. Next year, according to Wren Solares, it will be much bigger and will include a lot more runway shows. MKE Fashion Week initiative is determined to make a name for itself in the fashion world, but also to the Milwaukee Community. I’m thrilled and excited to see what MKE Fashion Week Initiative brings to the Milwaukee community in the years to come!